Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Queen Victoria, Looks To Be Bronze, 22mm, Unknown? (Id: Likely German Gaming Token)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 451Next Topic  
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  12:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add po_bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone recognize this? Its A young head, but does not look to me like THE young head used on coinage. All thoughts welcome.

Netherlands
16 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No coin but a token/counter. used as play money. It dates from about 1840-1870
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17080 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight?

There were lots of very minor differences in the young Head design on both coins and medals of Great Britain and her colonies, that was originally produced by William Wyon.
This medal could be copper, not bronze, but difficult to be sure with they way both pure copper and bronze can patinate.

The reverse design suggests to me that may be for India.
Edited by sel_69l
06/05/2020 08:22 am
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add po_bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its 22mm. I don't have good scales but its just a few grams. India is an interesting suggestion, but wouldn't it almost certainly have "ET IMP. IND." as part of the obverse inscription, if intended for India?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7070 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  03:35 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No coin but a token/counter. used as play money. It dates from about 1840-1870

Not an official coin from any country. The portrait is loosely based on Wyon's Young Head. These are quite collectable - I'm sure someone will know more about it.
Edited by NumisRob
06/05/2020 03:37 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17080 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indian Victorian coins are "EMPRESS", maybe irrelevant anyway, because maybe a medal.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3354 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gaming token, spiel marke , as stated .They appear in many metals , brass , bronze , copper , aluminum,
Pot metal etc . Surprisingly many were made in Germany . A major designer was Lauer .
These are found with many reverse designs coupled with a Young head of Victoria Obverse .
Literally hundreds of different ones for sale on the Bay!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17080 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indian Victorian coins are "EMPRESS", maybe irrelevant anyway.
Edited by sel_69l
06/05/2020 09:30 am
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add po_bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to all who replied.
United Kingdom
27 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenscot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Victorian card counter and is part of a set. Others are the two of spades and the four of spades; the latter having two varieties.

They are all the same size, c.22.7mm, despite the pictures being different sizes. No doubt there is one with the ace of spades.

The obverse was used with a trade token issued by Nissen & Parker of London and that was issued sometime in the 1840s to 1850s.

Pillar of the Community
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were purpose-made for scorekeeping in the game of whist. https://www.wopc.co.uk/history/whis...ing-counters
Edited by Kushanshah
06/08/2020 3:39 pm
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add po_bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't seem to get email notifications anymore when posts are made to my topics, so I had not seen the preceding two posts when I came here to post what I had found, which is what was already posted here.

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add po_bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks once more to all who replied. I'm rarely able to stump this community.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 451Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05