Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 S Morgan Dollar For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 372Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  7:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm thinking AU55. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48971 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-53.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4017 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one has seen quite a bit of circulation. I'd say AU-55 range, assuming it grades clean. Some of the parallel lines on the devices have me concerned it may have been cleaned.
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55 sounds right to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8895 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
typically the 84(S) have a bold strike. this one is AVG- for strike so that's going to hold it back a little. surface preservation is also AVG-. quite a bit of the luster appears to be gone, however lighting could be a contributor to this. I'm not seeing the signs of circulation the others are. I'm at MS62+ due to the surface issues. coin may have been wiped or attempts to polish the coin. not sure she would grade straight but I'm just going by the photos presented
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20984 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A dipped AU-55.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
luster is not the same but wear looks like my 84S PCGS AU-53
Pillar of the Community
United States
1448 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the middle of the herd here.

I played with the photos and looked for quite a while. I see just a touch of wear from circulation. The hair above the ear, tip of the cap, and large bear claw show minimal evidence of circulation. The beagle's breast, talons, and bow show the same on the reverse. The luster disruption in the fields from circulation matches the minimal wear on the coin.

The rest is strike weakness, bag scuffiness, and a couple laps in a lap pool of cleaner (more than "dipping"). I think it straight grades at AU-58, unless an eye appeal drop grade brings it down to AU-55.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5282 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU 53 on this one.

It's been dipped a couple of times, too. Any more dips and it'll end up with dead luster and a details grade.
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see AU55. Agree on the dipping.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05