Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1888 Cent Anomaly Or PMD Opinions Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 711Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
856 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  3:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

This looks at first glance like PMD but I've seen this anomaly on other large cents and I'm starting to think it was created a some time during the minting process, perhaps ejection.
I can't imagine how you could inflict this damage without damaging the higher points of the rim itself.
Anyone got any Idea on how this could have occurred, your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3493 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too regular and following the arc of the die to be PMD. It came from the minting process, but hard to figure out what was the cause. Maybe a strip of something metallic caught on the edge of the die making a strike-thru of some kind? You're supposed to be the guru for the 1888's, sweet William.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
856 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I started studying the 1888's it became apparent that there was something causing damage to the lower right area on far to many coins and in the same position to be attributed Post mint Damage.
The Original post coin is an extreme of a common occurrence that if you look closely you can find on 5 to 10 percent of all 1888's in varying degrees.
There's a reason for this weakening or flattening of the denticles in this area, some will have an arched cut through the denticles.
It appears to me that the coin was fully minted before the arched cutting through the denticles occurred if so it would perhaps be from the ejection system.
In short it's to common and consistent to be attributed to PMD.
These added photo's are all of 1888 coins and I have plenty more with the same affect but to a lesser degree.
Last photo shows the only coin I found where the cutting into the denticle is not on the bottom portion of the coin.
Comments welcome, I don't think anyone has the absolute answer so I'm looking for possible explanations.
Something like this may have to be solved by consensus on a theory.
Appreciate the help.

Cheers, Bill

Learn More...
Canada
9591 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like what I see on silver 50c and silver & nickel dollars, imparted from the collar or hammer die, as it is being ejected... I suppose the correct term would be post-strike damage, but related to the ejection of the coin from the striking chamber?

Great photos, as always!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3493 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Until you brought up the subject, I never realized that anomaly on the 1888's, but you are the researcher and guru for that date. I just looked through about 70-80 of them and almost every one has uneven wear at that 4:00/6:00 position. I didn't find any with what appear to be shear or cut lines, but the denticles in that area all seem to be squished and fattened and elongated with a much smaller space between the denticles as elsewhere on the coin. On many, the edge or rim seems to be much more worn or compacted as well. Maybe, as Roger says, it's due to something in the ejection process or mechanism. Maybe there is something that smacks up against the coin to help it eject/slide from the chamber. I've always liked your work on the '88's and talking to you about them at shows.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coins! Vickies with must-look anomalies always draw attention. There was a large cent on eBay months and months ago, an 1888, with obvious reverse letter doubling. It was one of the most compelling error coins I've ever seen from the series. And it was in an American TPG. I waited til the last few seconds, put a big jump on the bid but someone else was there. Someone who likely reads this forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3493 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you search through the 1888 posts on this site, you will see that there is numerous repunching on any combination of the 8's. These are varieties, not errors, since they were manually repunched into the dies. There was also some MD's that affected the lettering.
Edited by okiecoiner
06/10/2020 6:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okiecoiner, this was an 1888 with doubled ONE CENT. A spectacular error coin and I didn't jump high enough.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 711Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05