Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 Lincoln "Presidency" Penny Box

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,049Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  5:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DelawareMatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I just started Coin Roll Hunting. (found a W quarter today!)

I bought a box of penny's today and the whole box very well might be 2009 Lincolns, the "Presidency" edition.

They are all in SUPER good shape, minus some light carbon spotting on the majority of them.

What should I look for? What one's are keepers, most of the coins look MS aside from the spotting.

Should I not open all the rolls? I've only opened 3.

Edited by DelawareMatt
06/17/2020 7:18 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36452 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14300 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Hmm ,very interesting to find a whole box of 2009 president reverse . What Mint , P or D ? Too bad you say most are spotted , there's an online dealer asking $8 a roll for Philly's and $7 for Denver's .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DelawareMatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just added pictures above, the enders are mostly in bad shape but all the ones inside are a different story. If the ones I open are the same as the rest they have no mint mark.

Also, anyone know what the ring on the one coin I posted a picture of is? Is that just damage from a coin machine?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3609 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the ring is damage from the coin wrapper machine. To answer your other question on what to do with them, If I had them I would go through maybe 4 rolls a day and pull out any I felt were high grades and continue checking 4 rolls everyday or two later (looking at the whole box during one sitting would get dizzying) until I finished the box. Then judge those "high" grades until I got down to around 10 to 15 candidates and then determine if any of the higher grades that could be MS-67/68. Then with the best one I determined, I'd post it here on the forum and ask for the pros opinion for grade..If you think one might be 68 or higher..send in to TPGer...also check for cuds and/or large die cracks/spikeheads

to CCF...good luck, have fun...
Edited by Greasy Fingers
06/17/2020 10:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36452 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2020  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That's what I did, and do back in 2009 when I was able to get a box of each of the four different reverses. Did not have much luck with that design reverse though.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2020  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 Philly Presidency had the lowest mintage of this series with 129,600,000 minted.

These rolls sell on Ebay between $4.00-$8.00 a roll. A box of 50 rolls sold on June 9th for $338.00 so about $6.76 a roll. you could probably do 5 rolls of them for $30 and make a couple hundred bucks off the $25.00 outlay and your luck of landing a box like that.

Up to you really. if you know grading, you could go through the box looking for the most perfect examples, then compairing those for the couple that are near perfect. there arn't many graded at MS66 and even less at MS67 with none higher.

the bronze ones from the mint sets go up to MS69 I think, and don't sell for that much but the Zinc core business strike ones are a lot harder to get "clean" and command a better price. even then though it's hard for me to say how much, I saw a MS67, not satin finish business strike on Amazon for like $200, I'm not really sure that's worth the effort and time and all the costs involved.... I dunno.

Again up to you really. I think an MS68 zincoln or higher of this design could do really, really well on a Heritage Auction if it ever appeared.
If it were me, I'd probably just do the lots of 5 rolls on Ebay until I'm done and do 5 rolls for myself and use the money to buy more coins to search through, or something I want or need instead.
I wouldn't do the effort to go through all those rolls and analyse them for the highest grade and roll the dice on grading's and pay out the costs to get it graded myself. I'd take the easy 4-8x my money and let others do the leg work. :)

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DelawareMatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is some of the best ones I picked so far, mind you a majority of the rolls I've opened are in this condition with minor light spotting.

I've been digging and have seen certified MS65's that look in worse shape than these. What is your take on these?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36452 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I still have two boxes of each left
John1
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DelawareMatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got my scope in the mail, what grade do you all think these are? They have perfect coloring. Pic was taken with my scope so the light messes with the color.

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnboyrox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it common that you get an entire box of the same coin?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36452 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DelawareMatt: None look gradable to me.

Quote:
Is it common that you get an entire box of the same coin?
No,not common. You get them by chance.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14300 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Salt at least 10 rolls away for the long term . Leave them wrapped and put them into plastic Nickel tubes ,close cap tightly and store in a cool dry place .
Go ahead and sell the rest of them on e-Bay .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2085 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was a VERY nice find. Congrats!

Out here where I am at in California, the 2009-P Lincolns are ALL hard to find but the Presidency coin is definitely the hardest. As a matter of fact, since I've been searching the past four years, I have found well under 100 total for the 4 designs... I am not quite done counting/sorting/organizing my finds, but here's the breakdown so far:

B/E Child: 14
Form Yrs: 24
Prof. Life: 24
Presidency: 9
Edited by John77
10/26/2020 5:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2029 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,049Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05