Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 9/6 ( Inverted 9) Was On E-Bay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 666Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
480 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2020  10:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Strach-Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin showed up on E-Bay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1859-Canad...AOSwcH5e6sB2

The bar at leaf 9 is a dead give away which type of 9/6 it is. At 26 USD with 8 for shipping someone is very happy.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1497 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes great buy for that coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2020  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very nice one Strach-Man. Are you the happy buyer?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1435 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're lucky. I was watching it all week, down to the wire, then kids distracted me and I missed it by 1 minute

I don't know how this happens to me.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the D/C at leaf 12, but it sure looks like one to me. I also don't see the T/P'd C in Canada
Edited by okiecoiner
06/25/2020 06:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is the other 9/6. Haxby catalog # 138 (obverse 42 + reverse I4), so it doesn't have the leaf 12 DC or the TP C of CANADA. It does have the DC at the stem of leaf 5, so it's a later I4 die state.

CV, what a nice distraction. I've been through that with my kids and now the grandchildren are distracting me.
Edited by Phil310
06/25/2020 07:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but I thought that the type 2 had a nicely offset 5/5 and I don't see that.
Valued Member
Canada
480 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Strach-Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RP-5 is weak and the loop at the bottom of the 9 on this variety most often is weak and hard to see. It does have like Phil 310 said a very weak D/C at steam of leaf 5.
Many years ago Bill you mentioned to me that the type 2 could be over looked because of the missing D/C at 12 and the loop at the bottom of the 9 is weak and may not even be seen with the naked eye. That wonderful bar at leaf 9 is the key.
I believe the type 2 is the tougher one to find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best marker for reverse I4 is the bar Strach-Man mentioned. It is visible even on a low grade example. Here are closeup photos of the offset 5 and bar crossing where stem 9 enters the leaf from a coin I have. I agree with Strach-Man that this is the tougher of the 2 9/6's to find.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I agree that the type 2 is much harder to find. The Ebay example, to me, doesn't show the 5/5 ... may be the photo. Any way, someone got a bargain. I can think of 2 people who would have seen it and bid under the darkness of night. Neither posts much here.
Valued Member
Canada
480 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Strach-Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not bid on this coin. I did take a look at the PCGS site to see if any type 2 9/6 have been submitted. I found 1 type 2. I had trouble using the site to see all submitted 9/6 so could be more type 2 graded by PCGS.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1497 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this one that I submitted to PCGS about a year ago they only list them as inverted 9 they don't say which one only inverted 9. I think they are a little harder to find then the one we all call type 1, but I have had 3 of these type 2 now so they are out there I kept this one for myself and got rid of the other 2 to friends. I missed seeing this one on e-bay the buyer got a good buy on a hard coin to find good luck to anyone after one of these.

Edited by papeldog
06/29/2020 10:07 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 666Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05