Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Good Time Or Bad Time

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 522Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8990 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  08:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
for those active in buying and selling at this time, is it good time to be buying a good time to be selling or both?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17162 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The downside:
As the World economy contracts, expect falling fine arts values (including coins) to trend lower. Coin collectors will have more pressing priorities forced upon them.
Expect the book value of your coin collection to decline. Avoid selling if you can, except that if it has been forced upon you.

The upside:
It's going to be a buyers' market.
If you have discretionary money to spend in one year from now, there will be lots and lots of opportunities for buying cheaply.

Overall:
Avoid fire sale type disposal of your coin collection if you can, just to raise money. Prices will trend up again, if and after an effective CV vaccine has been found.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2147 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So my financial situation has stayed the same so I've been buying and selling stuff that I no longer want. What I found is that selling you are getting less. Buying, the prices haven't really changed, unless you are buying bullion which is much higher than precovid.

But I will stare we have cut back on spending. We generally travel a lot all those trips are canceled so that money is saved. We also haven't gone out to dinner, movies, museums, drinks so we haven't spent that.

So financially we are still ok, but I can't say what will happen next month, so for now I'll keep on buying. I will state that my astrophotos haven't sold so I don't have any extra hobby money. Which means no 1909 s vdb , unless I stop buying currency.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3609 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect/buy world coins, and my impression is that higher end certified material is up, and lower material is flat to down. I have picked up a few coins recently below the price I was expecting to pay (in the under $150 range).

Other members might be able to comment on U.S. coins.

Edited by tdziemia
06/25/2020 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I buy world coins, and my impression is that higher end certified material is up, and lower material is flat to down...

That's my impression as well. It feels like the people with money to spend are competing with each other more actively than they had been, while the rest of us are holding on and not buying as much.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally agree with the above posters on world coins. I got outbid on 3 items in this week's Kunker summer auction. The multiple domination talers I collect seems to be going stronger than ever.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19415 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect all coin prices will drop horribly soon. So to avoid your losses I have a simple solution. Send me all your coins now.
Realistically as soon as coin shows resume and coin stores get going again, there will be a massive run on them to get coins missed during all this virus stuff.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3406 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sales and prices are quite strong right now.
With no coin shows and many stores still closed .
Auctions and online are the go to places .
Good to great stuff is bringing nice prices right now .
Valued Member
Russian Federation
98 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This morning I participated in 4 auctions and bid for the right to buy Barber dimes. My result is quite sad, I won only one coin 1912 XF45 for $ 45, which is very expensive for me. I felt a lot of competition. I've never seen this before, I was going to win all 4 auctions, but I was outpaced at the last second( I hate Ebay a lot for This )
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if a lot of people are at home teleworking, which means they have a lot more time to surf eBay. Honestly, that's the case for me. Normally, I could never surf eBay at work, and by the time I commuted back home and had dinner, I pretty much just zoned out on Netflix. These days, I've got eBay, this site, and other hobbies up on one screen and my work up on another screen.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same "free" time during the workday whether I am telecommuting or physically in the office.

I have gained about an hour of my life back from not driving, but I have lost some efficiency...

While in the office I have my laptop focused on personal stuff while my desktop and its four screens are focused on work.

At home it is all done on the laptop and one attached (HDMI) display (two screens total). A lot more window flipping here.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 522Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05