Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Identify This Ancient Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 299Next Topic  

Turkey
1 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  11:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Durso to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I surprisingly stumbled upon this coin while trekking in agean region of Turkey. It was in the middle of nowhere. I couldnt find exact copy on internet catalogues but it seem to be a follis from 6th century looking at similar coins. Its quite worn out and maybe lost some details on camera too. Do you have a vague idea what it is? Thank you.

Learn More...
United States
16314 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@durso, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm no expert, but big letter M makes me think Byzantine Empire. Others will be on who hopefully can add more info.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
639 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be Arab Byzantine as Well....

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3116 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
probably 6th century follis. I don't think it's Arab-Byzantine; the extra lines look a lot more like it's been struck over something, though I can't figure out over what.

It looks like the legend of the understrike should be visible at 11h on the M side, and to a lesser extent elsewhere. Better photos (of both sides) would help a lot.
Learn More...
United States
23029 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it is an Arab-Byzantine coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3197 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photographing a dark object against a white background rarely gives much detail to the picture as the camera reads the brightness
Neutral shades work better
Black works best
The camera will read the subject
You may also need to wipe off your lens with a clean cotton cloth !

Finding these things is by far the best way to enjoy them
The thrill of it !
I am jealous although I did once find something myself
Kicking the dirt in Corinth I noticed a curious pebble
When I looked closer I saw it was a 'toe' from a statue
I was hooked for life !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
06/28/2020 3:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05