Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Seeking Help With A Limited Edition Eisenhower Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 809Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  02:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MjCl2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there, my name is Alesha and I currently live in Oregon however I grew up in Pennsylvania. I inherited a house in September and as I was cleaning everything out I found a monster coin collection. Today I'm working on finding information for a limited edition Eisenhower dollar. It is from 1976 and number 746 of 1000. I believe these coins were to commemorate the Viking 1 being sent to Mars. I have been unable to pull up any results via google, eBay, etc. Does anyone have any information on these coins?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5369 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... to the Community! We look forward to helping you with your questions.

The pictured item is commonly referred to as a PNC collectible. PNC refers to both a Philatelic (stamp) and Numismatic (coin) collectible as it covers both hobby fields.

The coin appears to be a 1976 Bicentennial clad proof Eisenhower dollar coin. It is worth only a few dollars. The stamp is very common. Even though the item is presented as "one of 1000' it is only worth what some collector of PNC items is willing to pay for it. My guess would be less than $5, if that.

"Jillions" of these type of items were heavily marketed back in the 70's and 80's and most of them are worth no where near what the buyer originally paid for them. (There are some exceptions of course!)

Research your items BEFORE parting with them. We are here to help!

Good luck!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MjCl2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, hard to tell from these pics but Viking 1 and Mars is stamped on the moon with the date of July 20th 1978. Might not mean anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1071 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The postmark July 20, 1976 was the date when Viking 1 landed on mars.
No idea who made this collectable but this type of thing was pretty common during that period of time.

It may appeal to space program collectors, coin collectors, stamp collectors but it's not rare as far as the coin or the stamp. This type of thing was done as a momento collectible to commemorate the landing. Actual value of the items it contains is like was said, like $5.00 tops for coin and stamp, but worth whatever someone would want to pay for it really and what you'd agree to part with it for.

I don't find anything on this, it's not a mint issued product, someone with an idea to make some money came up with this idea and put it together and took it to get postmarked on that date.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34851 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. You might want to check eBay sold values for current value. Looking forwards to seeing more of your discoveries.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
07/01/2020 06:29 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MjCl2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So after a restless night I discovered it's by Mel Wacks and his records state only 500 were made, not the full thousand.. which is interesting because mine is 700 something. Mystery solved?
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few random stamp and coin collectibles like this that were given to me as gifts over the years. They start off in my "neat-o stuff" pile, and on one of those days when I'm just combing through older random stuff in my collection, eventually migrate over to the "hmmm...do I really need this?" pile. At some point, the coin ends up in an album (if it was nicer than the one I had), or end up as a gift to someone who was into Ikes, space stuff, stamps, etc. Usually not worth the time it would take me to photograph and put on eBay, but some people do a ton of this sort of thing and can do it quickly and efficiently.
Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1071 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually Thanks MjCl2020, that exactly the type of thing that leads to revelations :)

http://www.tokenandmedal.org/Journa...el_Wacks.pdf
https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...an-30-y.html

"Mel Wacks' first counterstamped design commemorated the landing of Viking I on Mars on July 20, 1976 overstruck on silver Bicentennial Ike dollars. Other themes include the Camp David Peace Summit on September 5, 1978 overstruck on BU Peace dollars, and Pope John Paul II's visit to Mexico from January 26-31, 1979 overstruck on BU Silver Pesos."

I don't find a sale of that particular issue, which was his first, on Ebay's "sold listings" so can't tell you a value, but any of his counterstamps seem to sell for $60- $250 or so.
I believe that's going to be the 40% silver Bicentenial from all info I read.

From what I read, and how I understand it, he set up 1000 envelopes but as far as "completed units" that made it from the post master, to printing, to getting the coin counterstamped and inserted he says his records indicate he only completed 500 of the 1000 he intended. (maybe difficulty with getting the coins, or just made them up in lots and waited to sell off the first batch before doing the next batch, it was his first issue he made)

Anyways, really really interesting and didn't know about this guy and his counterstamp creations. Always learning something new in this hobby!
I think more valuable and collectible than I originally thought it was, but still not gonna make you filthy rich :)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5369 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP - can you post closeup pics of just the coin? Thx!
Pillar of the Community
United States
789 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mars is a small suburban town about twenty miles due north of Pittsburgh, PA. The reverse design is a representation of the Apollo missions and man landing on the moon, combined with the year Eisenhower died, in 1969. Also, in the case of 1975/76 dated coins the Bicentennial of the United States. Hence the coins obverse and reverse design choices.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
07/03/2020 12:06 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MjCl2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm familiar with where Mars is, I am actually from Western Pennsylvania. :)
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MjCl2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some better (hopefully) images as requested.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5369 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pics. Can now see the counter stamping on the reverse. Worth more than 5$, too.

I'd bet that if you did a listing on eBay, with excellent pictures of the counter stamp, you could draw some interest and get some descent bids.

Good luck!

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MjCl2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help everyone!
Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can now see the counter stamping on the reverse.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 809Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05