Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question...(I Do Not Know The Actual Answer)...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 464Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  2:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i was not really trying to be vague or missleading - but I have a question (which I posed to some "happy hour" friends.

given that Lincoln's image is on the cent, and on the $5,
and Washington's image is on the quarter, and the $1..

i wonder - whose image appears more in American currency - Lincoln, or Washington.

certainly there have been billions of cents, but there have also been billions of $1's...

(i also thought of the fact that Lincolns silouette appears on the reverse of the cent - but I don't think that should count)..

i am sure that the quantities can be calculated - with enough effort...

just an interesting (to me) question..

this is clearly not a priority type post...just some "happy hour" fun pondering...
Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely Lincoln. Just in the 2000s there been hundreds of billions of cent produced. There are only 11.7b $1 bills in circulation (seems very low since there are 1b-5b printed every year 1980-2016) and only a few years of quarters that went over 1 billion. 65, 67, 95. I think there are more cents produced than there are quarters, $1 bills and $5 combined
Jason
Edited by Kloccwork419
07/01/2020 2:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45642 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably Washington. They make a lot more of the ones, than the Fives. Figures? I don't have. Washington was also on a Commemorative half dollar:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with @Kloccwork419. Picking the first/easiest year I found numbers for, in 2016, a little over 8 billion pennies were made for circulation and a little over 2.4 billion dollar bills were printed. Over time, way more of Lincoln's face would be out there.
Now, another question would be who's face has been on the most varieties of coins/banknotes over the course of US history. I'm too lazy to do any research, but I'd guess Washington for that one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Well, it ain't Wendell Wilkie!"

Washington was on a heckuvalot of early US stamps too.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2200 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm too lazy to do any research

Seams to be the theme around here
Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with captiancoffee: >> I'm too lazy to do any research, Lets call it a draw.
Edited by Daves Errors
07/01/2020 3:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  08:32 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Abe was on many different stamps also. They were both on the $1 president coins and both on commemorative coins. Both were on silver dollars and Abe was recently on the 2009 commemorative silver dollar. Its just the cent is produced many times over all of them. There were over 1b minted in 44. Thats almost 80 years of 1-8b cents minted in each year
Jason
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16777 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
few years of quarters that went over 1 billion. 65, 67, 95.

There have been a LOT of years with over a billion Washington quarters made (74, 76,79-81, 83-91, 93-99, ant then you get into the State Quarters) But for each of those years there were BILLIONS of cents made. So for shear numbers Lincoln wins.

For different types, the winner is Washington. Lincoln has appeared on the one cent, Illinois centennial half, Illinois State Quarter, Mount Rushmore half dollar, president dollar and 15 different paper currency issues. Washington was on the quarter, Lafayette dollar,Sesquicentennial half dollar, Washington half dollar, Mount Rushmore half dollar, Washington bicentennial of death five dollar, plus 20 different federal currency issues, and many Confederate, obsolete, and broken bank note issues.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
07/02/2020 09:35 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right. I was looking at each mint. Not combined. Lincoln has billions from each mint
Jason
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All true...
But how many billions oof $1's have been printed?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16777 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming the Federal Reserve print order for fiscal year is about average, their order is for around 1.57 billion one dollar bills. Way less than the number of cents. So every year Washington loses ground. Also most of those dollar bills will wear out and be destroyed. The cents will keep hanging around.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 464Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05