Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 VDB Wheat Cent With Toning For Grading

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 573Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys I was wondering what you guys think this would grade out. Looks like a 64/65 to me with natural and eye appealing toning. Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
7217 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64BN or Unc Details Artificially Toned
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13814 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The vibrant color spectrum has me virtually convinced it is AT . MS-64 Details .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1417 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I"m not going to comment on the color. 63, that one spot to the right of the bust, even if toning is distracting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
519 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Questionable color for sure. Hard to tell from pics, but I'm seeing light rub on a few high points.

AU58, maybe MS63 in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3222 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fingerprints on obverse downgrade it to "Details" for me (don't hold your collector coins in your fingers... buy a pair of cotton gloves are your local coin shop).

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49597 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In these pics, looks AT'd I agree. How about some shots with different lighting?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9007 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UNC details (AT)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 details, altered surfaces.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holding a coin by the rim is acceptable, and my fingers never touched the obverse.

As for the pics, I should've specified that I took these to show off the toning but I think you guys are getting the wrong idea as these were all angled pics in LED lighting. I'll take some pics head on to show a drastically different coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49597 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Standing by!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are more pics in normal lighting. In hand the toning is light until it's angled towards light, and it looks natural to me in hand. Can't say I know of an artificial way to make the toning look like this (however I understand the reverse can feel sketchy to some.) As well, I have seen cents with similar toning to this straight grade, so the pink/yellow doesn't concern me too much, but as always I appreciate the input.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 RB, straight grade.

The second photo shows what could be the start of a pinpoint corrosion spot in the center of the cheek (the pinpoint in the yellow circle). Keeping the surface stable might become an issue over time. Whatever you do with this coin, check that spot from time to time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4113 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-65, RB. Beautiful coin and I believe original surfaces.
Edited by fenton
07/03/2020 07:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
519 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I've said it once......
This is why grading from pics is so difficult. Second round of pics look natural. I have several with almost the identical toning. Angle and lighting can really over accentuate the color. TPG may still call it questionable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first round of pics besides the first one was taken under LED lighting which in hindsight wasn't the best choice. The second round of pics was with normal sunlight, which is how I normally take pics, so I should've stuck with that.

Also a bump for CoinFrog
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 573Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05