Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 Indian Head Penny

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 626Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Netherlands
168 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  06:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add canary01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

I was wondering what you think of the grade of this coin?

Thanks in advance!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13820 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35 to EF-40 Dark .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49640 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close to EF-40, cheek scratch detracts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9012 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF40 close enough to 45 that it may push over as the reverse is stronger than a 45
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even with the weak diamond area, I think this one is EF-45. The reverse even looks AU.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
885 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-40
Pillar of the Community
United States
3222 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 to me.
a va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40. Attractive in my opinion.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are really tough on this one. Here's a PCGS EF-45.
The sharpness of the head band and reverse tells me EF-45 might be too conservative. This looks AU with some strike weakness at the tips of the feathers and diamond and hair curl area.

Edited by IndianGoldEagle
07/05/2020 11:58 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And an NGC XF-45.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1725 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally can't get it to AU territory. I think PCGS got this one correct.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is yet another coin that fits the bourse floor "AU Slider" category, what eventually will become EF-48. It's on the bubble between EF-45 and AU-50. The reverse is stronger, and the obverse scratch is unfortunate. I think it nets to EF-45 until EF-48 is recognized.

Unless there is a reason to slab it now, it might be worth holding for a few years until one of the TPGs debuts the EF-48 grade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU-50 details environmental damage obverse AU 53 reverse. Seems PCGS and NGC are less rigid on diamonds due to die wear ANACS are the diamond counters. Good looking coin I'ma fan of the 1870 71 72 76 and 78. Have no problems with a coin like this one, nice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 1878 NGC AU53 cracked out,that short while back many called at VF35 notice missing diamonds. The 76 is an ANACS F12 straight (funky color and all) the 77 was a raw $397 crapshot I threw 11 on. My thoughts are the TPG's place an oompff on eye appeal. Goldeagle that NGC XF45 is hot,goes AU in my book. The PCGS example is missing some lift for AU. Fantastic how calling Indians gets subjective fast, I enjoy the debate seeing fellow Indian lovers idiosyncratic talents.
Am I the only one seeing oldtime butternut coffee can storage residue on obverse of the op's coin? I digress something's on the obverse of the coin, maybe not enough for a details but think its a toss up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13820 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a PCGS EF-45.

Just sayin > I'm surprised original owner didn't send this coin to NGC for conservation of all that crap in and around the devices .
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...7969_obv.jpg

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...7969_rev.jpg
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 626Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05