Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Dollars: Water Lines, Beads, Blunt And Pointed 5.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 409Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  1:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been collecting these lovely dollars for a while, and it's the varieties that I don't really know if I've put in the right place or not. (Sorry if I sound like a fool) but I'd love some help. I've taken close up photos, and hopefully this thread might help others that are collecting all the varieties too.

Firstly is the 1965 small beads, blunt 5. I believe the 5 is blunt? (Doesn't have a pointed end,) But are the beads the small variety?

Next is 1965 small beads, pointed 5. Again, I don't know if the beads are correct on this one but the 5 looks pointed to me.

Next is 1951 full water lines. Again I'm not sure about these, do full water lines touch the canoe?

Here is 1965 pointed 5, large beads? Unsure if they are or not.

Here is a 1967 in the small beads slot which may or may not be correct.

Here is a 1967 which I have placed in a spare blank slot when I was unsure what beads type it has (still am)

Here is my 1958 which is really shiny and in nice condition, just showing it off at the end :)

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to help so I know which slots they should be in if they are wrong etc. :)
Edited by TobyJ
07/02/2020 1:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2960 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, the 1965 coins are correct in describing the "5"'s.. However the beads that are either large, small or medium, are on the obverse{front} of the coin, you are showing us the reverse{back} of the coins, which has denticles. Your 1951 is full waterlines.
I believe the 1967 only has 1 bead size.. your 1958 dollar looks good, and your photo skills are very good as well.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much silverwolf. These Whitman albums have a snaplock feature so I'm not sure if I can take them back out and put them in the same way so that they snap in again? If I can I'll take them out so I can see the beads.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps it is my old eyes, or the photograph, but I don't see those waterlines touching the canoe on the 1951. Wouldn't that make it a Short Water Line (SWL) variety? I had previously understood that the lines had to be touching the canoe in order to be a full waterlines (FWL) variety.

If I am wrong about the photo or what I have written, please advise.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2960 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
look at the first photo of the full coin, it is a fwl. in my opinion
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first photo definitely looks more like a FWL. I was looking at the second photo, which looks more like a SWL. Probably easier to tell with the coin in hand.

Thanks for the clarification silverwolf.

MathMan27
Pillar of the Community
Canada
910 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The '51 does look like a SWL to me...maybe even an Arnprior.

Can you take a closer photo of the lines?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem,
Here are some closer photos of the '51. Also, look at the difference in the photos from yesterday! I used a plastic bag to diffuse the light and it worked like magic.

Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TobyJ,

Based on that last, more detailed photo, it is definitely a FWL. Do you have pictures of the obverse side of the coin? If you post that, folks here will probably be willing to grade it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mathman, That ones in the right place then. I don't think I can take them back out without ruining the snaplock feature of the cardboard holder. If I ever get the 1948 Canada Dollar I think I'll have to have it slabbed...to put it in one of these cardboard holes would be a crying shame for it, but then I'd always have an empty slot. It's a dilemma I have to deal with! Ha
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05