Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello From The Heartland Of USA

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 632Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  8:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chipster1955 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm retired Air Force and I would like to start to coin collecting. I did it as a kid but it's been many years since my last purchase. I have been looking for current information on present day coin collecting and came across this site. Looks like I have much reading in front of me. My goal is to compliment my other investments with some nice valued coins. I know absolutely nothing about today's coin collecting but am determined in learning and buying. My big interest is Silver Dollars, especially sets. I'm sure I will be asking many questions and look forward to learning from all of you through this website.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2788 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Small World! I'm also retired USAF, living in the heartland and obsessed with large silver disks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2405 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

numista.com will help you to sort and research,

ebay.com , advanced search "sold items" , will give the most accurate real world values.

if you are looking for investments I don't know if I would normally suggest coins... they seem to keep pace with inflation, but won't necessarily net a profit unless you are an extremely patient and disciplined in your buying. current health situation may mean some deals are out there, but you're counting on the economy recovering before they would yield anything
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chipster1955 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your suggestions. I guess what I'm trying to do is get some nice collections for the grandkids down the road. I would like to turn a profit but I'm more interested in buying and collecting (not buy-sell-buy). I look forward to learning here, ie where is best place to buy, how to purchase collections, etc.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chipster1955 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I retired in Missouri Seated Nut. It is indeed a strange world
Pillar of the Community
United States
2788 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm across the river from St Louis (metro-east). Retired from Scott AFB.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chipster1955 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whiteman AFB here. Ok so here comes my first question. I'm trying to find which forum this would be best asked. I'm real interested in acquiring the full Morgan and Peace collection with higher end ratings. I saw this set on a Bradford mailing. Please don't laugh or punish but I just am trying to explain what I'm looking for. I realize there are probably many options to look at so if someone could point me in the direction I should go, if this is not the correct place to ask, I would be very appreciative. If this forum is ok for getting info, even better.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
990 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Quote:
if you are looking for investments I don't know if I would normally suggest coins.

with "Wade" & I've been collecting currency for about 40 years. I have bought two collections & made a very minor profit from some of these acquisitions. It's very tough to make money but it can be done (takes a lot of patience/perseverance). The biggest challenge is grading (even getting incorrectly graded banknotes from TPG holders). My best opportunities for turning a profit are from bundle/brick searches (& finding rare serial numbers) but even these profits will be slim due to a)TPG costs (making the note easier to sell down the road or b) selling costs (on eBay/auctions). Also, like many investments, there must be a healthy economy for resale- otherwise it's better just to hold onto your collection.

Anyway, "Welcome" and check out numista (& other sites) if you wish to get into the hobby deep!

As far as your recent question, post it in the US coins forum:
http://goccf.com/f/126
Edited by walk2dwater
07/02/2020 10:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2788 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't make any substantial purchase until you've done your homework and I wouldn't consider any offering from the Bradford as a sound investment. Stick around, ask questions, and seek opinions before leaping. I wish I had this advice back in the early 80's when I got into it in a big way. BTW you're gonna love the ride!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3385 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...read...read..read and then read some more before buying...I've made some errors in buying to early before "reading" the book
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16028 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5057 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
88872 Posts
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chipster1955 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everybody for sound advice. Bradford isn't in my vocabulary. I guess I didn't explain correctly in my post above on what I want from my collections.

Being new to this I'm quite limited in coin terms. What is bundle/brick searches. Going to coin shops? I'm more interested in coins as a collections. A profit isn't necessary but neither is a high loss like buying from Bradford.

We don't have coin stores in my small town. Is there other suggestions where to look. I checked site recommended but didn't see what I was looking for.

Again thanks for solid advice
Pillar of the Community
Canada
990 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We don't have coin stores in my small town. Is there other suggestions where to look. I checked site recommended but didn't see what I was looking for.

I feel LCS (Local Coin Shops) are a bit pricey but others will swear by them (because they establish a relationship & learn loads). I would still suggest you take Wade's advice by checking the prices met on eBay. You can't get a better indicator of world FMV (Fair Market Value) IMO. However, not sure what's happening with coins but as far as banknotes go, market seems pretty hot right now. I'd wait till it cools down. Seems like with the pandemic a lot of people have time on their hands (& possibly new blood/additional newbie collectors). Go through your change & start grading coins by what you've learned online. One of the most important skills you need to learn is how to grade (you cannot assume others will be doing it for you/nor trust the slab/TPG).

I understand you live in a small town but if there's ever a show that opens again in the nearest big city- I would recommend you attend that. Shows are great places to pick up supplies (at competitive prices) & meet like-minded collectors. Good luck!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chipster1955 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. I'm researching everything I can. There are many interesting articles out there
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 632Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05