Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Jefferson Nickel Graded By NGC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 411Next Topic  
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  1:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yung_bath_salts to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coin Community,

I sent this Jefferson nickel into NGC hoping that I would get an MS 5FS Grade. Instead, it came back with "UNC Details: Obverse Wheel Mark".

If they thought this coin was Full Steps, would it receive "UNC Details Full Steps" or does the damage on the coin disqualify it from being a Full Steps coin?

Super disappointed by this grade. This was the whole reason why I made my first submission.

Below I will attach pictures of the coin, both taken by me and by NGC.

Edited by yung_bath_salts
07/03/2020 11:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2129 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Do you mind sharing the certification number? We should be able to look at the larger pics of the coin on the NGC website. It would help us figure out what's going on with the coin.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49451 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us much larger pics of the '65, oriented right-side up.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yung_bath_salts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey everyone,

The certification number is in the first picture of this post.
Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1938-D pics are showing here, and maybe some from 1965 too small to grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1123 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The certification number is in the first picture of this post.

It's not, that first pic isn't even the right coin.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yung_bath_salts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys,

I don't know why it wasn't showing the right coin on the first 2 pictures. I have updated the file names and reposted the pictures. Sorry for this mistake.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yung_bath_salts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin Community,

I want to bring this thread back, I have updated pictures. I would really appreciate your observations about potential FS on the back. It is a damaged coin, but I would like to know if you all think it is still valuable. It is one of the best set of steps on a '65 I've ever seen.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yung_bath_salts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The NGC Certification # is: 5896429-001

Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2129 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a detail from the NGC Coin website. From these images the steps look like they may have too much chatter to be get an FS designation. The steps may look cleaner and unbroken by bag marks in hand, but I don't see Full Steps in the image.

As for a "Details" coin getting a Full Step designation, I've never seen one.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10651 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  01:11 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Details" coins don't get grade superlative designations like FS. Even if it straight graded, I don't think it would have qualified for FS.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 411Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05