Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Crusader Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 268Next Topic  
Norway
48 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  5:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add petterkr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got myself an unidentified crusader coin. Was thinking Matilda of Hainaut, but I am unsure. Any thoughts appreciated

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3597 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As best I can tell from the Numista listing, yes that looks correct.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces125575.html

(Moderators might move this to Ancient and Medieval subforum for more views)
Edited by tdziemia
07/03/2020 7:28 pm
Learn More...
United States
16633 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@petter, I think you are certainly in the general area. I can read "DE CLARENCIA" on the left pic and note the the castle has a C or annulet to the left and perhaps one to the right. These are all consistent with Achaea (Frankish Greece) and Maud of Hainut.

However, I'm struggling a little bit with the inscription on your right pic. The first and third letter seem to be barred As, but all Denier Tournois of Maud start with the letter M. If the first three letters were IFA, then this might be from Ferdinand of Majorca. In that case, the whole inscription should be IFAnS F D MAIORK, but that doesn't look exactly right either. The wear on this coin plus the fact that the inscriptions were often blundered make our job a little harder. @echizento may weigh in too--I'll be interested to hear what he thinks.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5092 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps this is an orientation issue, due to the letter T being confused with the small cross in the legend. Dunno if this is it (not a perfectly clean matchup), but here's a comparison (with the OP right pic rotated):

Edited by Bob L
07/04/2020 12:04 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3131 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a match to me! I don't know much about Crusader coins, though.
Learn More...
United States
16633 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes nice call Bob--it hadn't occurred to me that the right pic was upside down. The letter M is slightly obscured, but it looks right to me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Norway
48 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petterkr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thank you all. And thank you Bob. I think that is as close as it gets :) The upside-down reverse was a good catch.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 268Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05