Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ICCS Early Two-Letter Certifications

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 499Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1676 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:05 am Show Profile   Check Petersun's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While browsing through some eBay listings recently, I found out that some sellers advertise their ICCS-slabbed coins as having an "early two-letter certification." After digging through some earlier posts on this forum I postulated that grades may have inflated slightly over time, leading to relatively higher buyer confidence with earlier certifications. I would love to hear your thoughts on the extent to which this holds (as well as maybe why such phenomenon developed over time).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1584 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have submitted two of the older "crimped" 2 letter certified coins to PCGS. Both cross graded successfully. I have also submitted a large number of uncrimped 2 letter coins and three letter coins. I have not precisely tracked their success at cross grading but I would say it is about 60%.

There is a problem with using this information strategically. People have known this to be the case for a while and as a result many of the older holders with the nice coins in them have been examined and, if warranted, cracked out and resubmitted to ICCS or sent to PCGS (like the 2 of mine). I can foresee a time when the only coins left in the older holders will be the "problem" coins that owners decided were not worth resubmitting. So, as always, be careful.
Valued Member
Canada
265 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% agree with Smallcentguy. You could adapt the rule "buy the coin not the holder" to say "regrade the coin, not the holder". I would add that you should only send a coin to PCGS for regrading when there is significance chance of payoff - it's an expensive process and if your coin goes down in grade, or comes back the same, then you haven't really accomplished anything.

Another issue I would flag is that ICCS seems to miss defects like cleaning with some regularity and has done for ages - this is also true of ANACS in my experience. You could send a coin that is VF-30 at one TPG to PCGS and get it back with the notation VF-30, cleaned. Either way, it's VF-30, cleaned and people and the key is to recognize this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2942 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my limited experience with the usa graders, they also tend to over grade Canadian coins.. at least they have in the past..

So again, buy the coin , not the holder.. I don't believe many Canadian coins, re grade higher, if they were already graded by a USA grading top tier company..

Just my opinion, on a very limited experience with them..
Valued Member
Canada
483 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two or three letters doesn't matter to me. I have both. I wouldn't pay more for a coin in an older holder. As others have said, buy the coin, not the holder.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 499Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05