Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Damaged 1986 Penny Be The Rare Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 520Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
Many thanks for all your kind help.
In this topic I am going to share images of 1986 damaged penny which seems to be rare one.
As all of you know the weight of 1986 penny should be 2.5g, but in this coin you see that part the coin has been removed by any sharp thing, but its weight 2.51g? apparently this means that its weight was some thing about 3g or even may be more than that, and I believe it is rare coin!
Please let me know your opinion.
Thanking you.
With regards,
Habib.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4236 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver you see uncovered is zinc. It is a plated cent. Keep in mind the 2.5 gms is normal weight. I have plated cents that are 2.75 gms and while it is considered heavily plated it is still considered a normal cent.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3552 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight of the plating removed is very little as the plating is very thin, 8 microns. According to a previous post, all the copper on the coin would only weight about .05 grams.

http://goccf.com/t/291160
Pillar of the Community
United States
1512 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show an image of the edge of the coin?
It appears raised (A fake fingernail glued to the coin, perhaps?)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
whatever is on your coin it appears raised, and not part of an original coin..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45743 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like a fake fingernail?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3232 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A plated, post mint damaged cent. Value: one cent.
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi every body,
Thank you for constructive comments and suggestions. I have to mention that a parth of this coin has been removed not coated?
The lengths, width, and depth of the removed part is 6mm, 5mm, and .09mm respectively. I am attaching image of the side of the coin.
With best regards,
Habib.

Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the side view, it appears to be damage where a bit of the coin was removed. Maybe a dremel tool.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45743 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like pliers were used to hold the coin. Note the 180 degree area across from the crater? You can see where the tool pierced the plating?

A tip on taking images of the edge of a coin: I use wooden clothes line pins to hold the edge of the coin. That allows me to put it under my scope to set an close up edge view. Always focus on the lowest areas before you take an image. If you focus on the highest spot, most of your image will be out of focus.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Thank you for your opinions, but my question remained unanswered. Now, it is clear that part of this coin has been removed and its current weight is 2.51g, this means that its original weight was more than normal copper-zinc coin. Can we assume that it may was copper coin?
With regards,
Habib.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45743 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the zinc is showing. The coin was altered. When it was struck it didn't look like that. In fact the planchets are struck, setup and plated before it arrives as the mint. So the weight should be less than 2.5g.
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16798 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But since the coins have a .1 gram tolerance, this coin could have weighed 2.6 grams when it was new, and the damage has removed .09 grams of material, 3% of the coin.

If it was copper (and the surfaces show that the coin is definitely plated something that wouldn't have occured on a copper planchet) the MINIMUM weight new would have been 2.98 grams that damage would have had to remove .47 grams of material or about 16% of the coin.

Also the surface inside the damaged area appears to be silverish colored not copper. So conclusion is it is a damaged copper plated zinc cent.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi every body,
Thank you very much for your complete reply.
Now I am convinced the coin is copper-zinc.
With best regards,
Habib.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 520Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05