Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I Doing Something Wrong?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 309Next Topic  

Australia
35 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  10:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorry to annoying with a bunch of really basic new collection questions. Anyway my collection at this point is mostly stuff I have found in my change kept in a little album similar to this
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Collect....m2749.l2649

I have been reading and watching videos and people are using gloves and padded surfaces and other things. So am I harming my pretty worthless coins, touching them with my fingers and sorting them on my tv tray and keeping them in my little Chinese album?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49583 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i doubt that coins found in circulation would be harmed by casual handling.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34763 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just make sure the albums are coin safe. Only touch the edge of the coins and use common sense when handling and storing your coins.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3544 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The main concern is that the albums may cause long-term harm to your coins. It is certainly safe for a few months. If you can't be sure I would get a safe album.

Since all the coins were from circulation, one more hand touching them will probably matter little, but if you see a shiny and fresh one you may want to handle by the edges.
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is PVC don't use it. The softener in PVC eventually eats into just about anything. I used those soft vinyl flips (PVC) in the old days and regret it.

I also collect old fishing lures and somebody started selling PVC surgical tubing as a "hook protector". You slip a small piece over the hook point and it stays put. It will protect your fingers but not the lure. The PVC will eat into the paint of the lure and drastically reduce its value. Takes longer to wreck a coin but avoid any soft plastic. And after decades PVC will turn to goo.

Here is an example of a lure that had PVC tubing over the hooks. Ate right into the paint down to the wood and ruined a minty lure.

Valued Member
Russian Federation
98 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The question of proper storage of coins is always a particularly acute one for collectors. More often people use high-quality albums, they will cost a little more than a Chinese album, but it is worth it. But the most important thing is what you are going to store in these albums. If the coin is of UNC or AU quality, its safety is worth considering.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9002 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you are collecting common coins from circulation to fill an album its not going to matter as those coins will most likely have no real value even 50 years out. my recommendation is to get in the habit of holding your coins using the rims to make it a habit and fill those albums. there is no better feeling than to pop a coin into a hole and seeing them next their siblings in a folder.

Happy Hunting!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05