Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Next PCGS Submission

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 769Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The excitement of looking through tons of unsearched rolls of old pennies is something only coin nerds like us can appreciate. Do you have any reference material/books to look up coins in? Even something as simple as the Red Book will help you identify some of the things to look for. Its only like $9 on Amazon and might help save you from spending the money for certifying a coin worth 50 cents. Some others here may be able to recommend cent-specific books with lots of info on dies, errors, doubling, etc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3200 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a different outlook on life,and coin collecting has keeps me sane. So from time to time I may show my appreciation by slabbing them for safe keeping and my viewing pleasure lol :)

While I agree with everyone's suggestion that this is a cost-losing venture, I understand you have a very special relationship with your coins. Had I the funds and rapport you have with your coins, I dare say I might follow your lead and have special coins stabbed as well. You are doing this completely for yourself, and I say, go for it! No one here is judging you one way or another.

I am glad you shared your story with us. Thank you. We are most happy to have you as part of our family!

ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
8990 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with all the comments here but would add that if you have coins you feel are worthy or may come back with a surprise grade to hit a big one that you run it by CCF for assessment.

not everyone agrees here on many coins but they can give you an overall opinion on the coins viability to pull the grade that makes sending it off worth it. I would not use a TPG to find a winner for me especially when you have hundreds of years of experience on this site to draw from first. once you have a general consensus on a coin here you can then make a better judgement as whether its worth it for you to send it in.

CCF doesn't always get it right but then again TPG's dont either. remember we are looking at a photo and you have the coin in hand. anything can affect what we see here. Angle, lighting etc can all hide defects, surface issues and other anomalies that you or a TPG see if they rotate the coin under the best of lighting conditions.

Good luck hunting and hope you find a winner! thats the fun part
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with John1. If you must submit low value coins, consider ANACS. I use them for my collection of modern commemorative dollars. I don't like how much room the OMP takes up in my safe. I never plan to sell them, but I do want them preserved and protected for future generations. I like the ANACS slabs because they include a description at an angle on the top. Much easier to find the coin I want in a 20 coin slab holder. If I want to show a friend the Civil War commem, it's easy to look down and see the 1995. Not pull one out, nope, pull one out, nope. Is that a silly reason to pick one TPG over another, maybe. But as said before, they are also much cheaper. Especially if you hit one of their specials.

One just ended June 30th. 10 US coins, any type, any date, with free return shipping for $109. $10 for any additional coins. I sent in 20 coins for $209 + $9 to have one error attributed. No submission fee per sheet, no membership to pay. They were coins I would never send to the big two, because they just aren't worth that much. You can submit your email on their website to get the "Insider" specials. They will email you upcoming or current one. Usually have one every other month.

180 year old gold British sovereigns that I just sold on Ebay, yeah, those would go to PCGS or NGC.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just on their website. I see they extended that special to the end of July.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4111 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1946-S is rather extraordinary. I could see that in a 66 or 67 holder. Others are not worth grading.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16523 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
46S- 65RD
68D - 65/66
64 and 54 - around 65RD
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 769Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05