Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 D Kennedy DDR 001?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 252Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
221 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just don't have the means to see the light doubling in the letters with my cheap LED microscope. But the doubling is in all the stars from the U in United to A in Half going clockwise, and the 9 stars in the shield. My question is since I don't have the means should I take to coin shop have them look at it?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45631 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is from an aging die. Your coin is showing extreme die wear on the starts. This is not a doubled die, but a die with several hundreds of thousands more of coins to strike. How do I know that is it an aging die. Because of the die flow lines on the fields, on the edge of the devices. After you've seen an early die state coin, then you will know what I'm talking about. Here is an example:

Note how fresh the fields and devices are? This die was used less than 100 times. Thus the great detail of the design and the features of the devices. That is what most dies start out looking like but up to a million coins can be struck on some dies. But this is the new infant coin struck by a fresh die. Now go back and examine you coin. Now you see the flow lines, even flowing over the edges of the stars. Not a keeper unless you want an example to show to a new collector, to explain about die wear. But they eventually get worse before they are retired.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok coop. Could it be because my pics is blurry?
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is alittle clearer pic.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45631 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that does show me more. I have a problem trying to make sense of the V.V images. But the one with the stronger hub doubling on the stars is the 004:
http://varietyvista.com/12%20Kenned...9DDDR004.htm
See if you can match up the notches on the corners of the devices? While it is nice to have close images, it removes perspective as to where, what is affected and how strong. The image may help you as you have the coin in hand.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is afew more pics,,,, cat match anything on V.V

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45631 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Larger devices are showing Machine Doubling. Not a doubled die on those devices. The stars look like they were altered by Machine Doubling also.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05