Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is My Grandfathers Kennedy Half. He Gave Me An SMS?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 402Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  5:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add B2Gs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New to this community and thought I'd start big, hopefully! I noticed mine has the same markings on Kennedy's neck as the one that recently sold as well as very sharp edges almost like a bevel. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13777 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , I have to say NO it's not a SMS Half .Just a normal business strike ( made for circulation ). A keepsake for sure and it's 90% silver .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2205 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34736 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I agree not a SMS,but still special because of who gave it to you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Denver mint, ergo business strike.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add B2Gs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aww darn, I'm including another picture I was watching a couple videos and the marks on his neck and the angle of the top of the W kept coming up as SMS. Don't ruin my hopes yet lol! Thanks for the warm welcome guys
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add B2Gs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a real one, notice the die marks on his neck. I also read that one of the 12 or so didn't have the "floating 4" dot.

Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its tough when there are over 273 million regular ones and only a dozen SMS ones.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16779 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The marks on the neck are actually part of the design of the Kennedy half dollar.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And again, as Alpha pointed, it has a Denver mintmark, so it's impossible to be SMS.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05