Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Manitoba's 150th Anniversary Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 585Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4530 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  12:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This year (2020) marks the 150th anniversary of Manitoba joining the Canadian Confederation. The Manitoba Act, which created the province of Manitoba, was passed by Canada's Parliament and subsequently received Royal assent on May 12, 1870; it went into effect on July 15, 1870 - Manitoba's official date of entry into the Confederation. The Royal Canadian Mint ( RCM) has not yet announced any standalone commemorative pieces for the anniversary, but with just under half the year remaining a coin or two celebrating Manitoba is certainly possible.

Of course, the RCM released a silver dollar last year to mark the life of Louis Riel, the man who is often called the "Father of Manitoba" for his efforts on behalf of the Métis people to help establish their rights as a pre-condition of Manitoba becoming a province.

2019 Louis Riel Silver Dollar

The RCM has also issued several other coins that have celebrated Manitoba. For example, in 1970, a nickel dollar was struck for circulation (with a higher-quality version produced for collectors) to mark Manitoba's 100th anniversary.

The province was also celebrated in 2010 and 2011 with gold coins. In 2010, a $350 gold coin celebrated Manitoba's floral emblem - the prairie crocus; the coin was one of series honoring the floral emblem of each province/territory. In 2011, a $300 gold coin featuring Manitoba's coat-of-arms that was part of a provincial coat-of-arms series was struck for collectors.

2010 Floral Emblems Series: Manitoba - Gold $350

2011 Coat-of-Arms Series: Manitoba - Gold $300

One of the collections released by the RCM to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017 was a series of 13 $10 coloured silver coins depicting a scene from each province/territory; of course, a coin for Manitoba was included - it features a canola field in the foreground and grain storage silos in the background.

2017 Canada 150 Collection: Manitoba - Silver $10

This year, the RCM launched another flora emblem series, with coloured silver $3 coins being used vs. gold to make them accessible to more collectors.

2020 Floral Emblems Series: Manitoba - Silver $3

The province's seal/shield/coat-of-arms has also appeared on other RCM releases over the years that collectively commemorated all of Canada's provinces/territories - the 14-piece puzzle coin of 2017 comes to mind. So, Manitoba has certainly not been ignored by the RCM.

Of course, most around here know I focus my collection on Canada's 36mm silver dollars. However, I have also collected the Voyageur series of nickel dollars (1968-1987) as well. As I have previously posted about the 1970 Manitoba centennial dollar, I thought I would "bump" the thread via a link here to help celebrate Manitoba's 150th anniversary: 1970 Manitoba Dollar.

Note: Images are from past RCM press releases/coin announcements.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Commems.

It's been a while since I visited the site but I'm glad to see you are still around.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3340 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too enjoy and look forward to any/all of his posts...Wish I had teachers in HS like him...making history worth $$$ learning...Thanks again commems...
Edited by Greasy Fingers
07/08/2020 11:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4530 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Thanks!" to each of you for the positive words - I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

I always enjoy sharing a bit of history about the coins I collect and hope to continue doing so!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
88634 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
594 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always, great post @commems

Slightly OT - It would be great to see the 1974 Anniversary of Winnipeg specimen SD reissued as a proof 99.99% silver SD minted using today's modern technology. The coin has an excellent design and I would definitely be a buyer!

Have a great weekend!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4530 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be great to see the 1974 Anniversary of Winnipeg specimen SD reissued as a proof 99.99% silver SD minted using today's modern technology.

It could be something the RCM looks into for 2024, the 50th anniversary of the original SD.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4530 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to give others a chance to post either or both of the two obvious omissions in my presentation of commemorative pieces specifically about Manitoba, but as no one else has taken the opportunity...

Tonight, I will add two additional Manitoba-specific coins to the discussion. One comes from the first set of Canadian coins I ever purchased, the other from a series that never quite captured my attention enough for me to pursue.

1992 Canada 125th Anniversary Provincial Series

Up first, the 25-cent coin dedicated to Manitoba within Canada's 125th Anniversary of Confederation set - each province/territory was represented. I still have the map board that included all of the coins (including the commemorative dollar) and remember giving a presentation about the set to my local coin club. It was the first presentation I ever gave to coin club! I used an overhead projector and transparency sheets that I had made using the office copier - each sheet had an image of one coin from the set and a few notes about it. (In 1992, the setup was the only feasible alternative to 35mm slides -- for which I didn't have the proper photographic equipment!)

The commemorative reverse of the coin depicts the southwest bastion of Manitoba's Lower Fort Garry along with part of its surrounding wall. The Hudson's Bay Company began construction on the fort in 1830; it is located on the western bank of the Red River about 30 kilometers north of Winnipeg in present-day Saint Andrews.

Circa 1989 view of southwest bastion. Look familiar? Image courtesy of historicplaces.ca.

Coins of the series were available in multiple versions: from circulation, in a map set directly from the RCM (circulated versions), as individual proof coins and in a set of proof coins.

2002 Canadian Festivals Series - Manitoba

The second coin dates to 2002. In 2001 the RCM launched its Canadian Festivals Series of sterling silver 50-cent coins; it included one coin for a festival in each province/territory and stretched from 2001 into 2003.

The Manitoba coin came out in 2002; it celebrated the province's Folklorama Festival. From the Folklorama web site: "Folklorama began in 1970 as a one-time celebration of Manitoba's centennial but has since grown to be the largest and longest-running multicultural festival of its kind in the world."

The commemorative design reflects the festival's goal of bringing together the world's cultures.

The proof coin was available individually in a custom-printed folder and as a complete collection in a boxed set.

The RCM may have struck other coins specifically to celebrate Manitoba, but included here are those with which I am familiar. If there have been others, please feel free to add them.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 585Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05