Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 SMS Half Dollar, Original Packaging?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 380Next Topic  

Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  2:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

Just received this 1965 so called SMS half dollar in plastic with a token attached to it.

Does anyone know if this is the original packaging and if it is indeed an SMS type? It doesn't look that shiny like the other years do.

Thanks in advance guys!

Alex

Pillar of the Community
United States
911 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, this is correct
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2307 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It looks like it may be cut from the original cello SMS package, but I don't see the normal crimping pattern. Here's the full set.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Edited by Yokozuna
07/08/2020 5:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a picture of the reverse?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16936 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The token is from a 1965 SMS set, the plastic isn't so as far as I am concerned there is no way to be sure the half dollar is SMS.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is lettering imprinted on the side similar to the SMS set, but it does look odd with the non waffled plastic seals between coins. Seems like pulling a switch-a-roo would be a weird way to make money, since there isn't a huge price disparity between the coins. So maybe the plastic just looks odd.
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that lettering imprinting question convinced it for me. I opened the plastic, the half dollar became much more shinier out of the plastic, and as you can see on this picture, there is the waffled plastic and also the letters saying Special Mint Set.

Now only the 1964 proof and my Silver Kennedy set is complete!
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now only the 1964 proof and my Silver Kennedy set is complete!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05