Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Jefferson Nickel. Another Chrome Plated Coin Or A Planchet Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 218Next Topic  
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  11:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spacegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All...

Once again this month I have found an odd duck. I was in a bank roll of Nickles and stood out like a sore thumb. The weight is correct at 5 grams, it has "normal" wear and tear, but it is shiny as heck and HIGHLY REFLECTIVE! It is very slightly magnetic, meaning it will stick to a small magnet for a half a second and then fall off, unlike the Canadian nickle I got in a roll the other day that is fully magnetic. The white area across the reverse is where something sticky and red was stuck. I soaked it in distilled water for a bit until it came off easily. I have not otherwise cleaned the coin. The streaked area is nowhere near as visible with the naked eye as with the camera zoom. The "US" and the "UN" part of EPU have a somewhat softer impression than the rest of the motto, but nothing more or less than I have seen many times over on other coins.

I assume it is a novelty coin of some ilk, but you can never be sure so I needed to ask. TYIA - I am off to work now and I will check back this evening. Looking forward to your expert opinions.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34854 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a normal circulated coin to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
07/09/2020 11:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few of those too, shiny even where scratched. I have assumed they were someone's plating experiment.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3552 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chromium is not ferromagnetic. perhaps nickel-plated?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16798 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep nickel plated. that explains the slight magnetic attraction. The pure nickel plating is highly magnetic but there isn't enough of it there to hold up the weight of the coin. (Also not enough to noticeable affect the weight.) And a good nickel plating can be very shiny.

It is also possible to hace a chrome plating over a nickel plating. This was often done because the chrome would adhere better to the nickel coating.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
07/10/2020 12:28 am
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spacegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone, and thanks to all for the replies. I've just been too busy to be here for the last several days. If this is nickel plated, would that be because someone just wanted to do it, or would this be some sort of mistake (which I doubt). Thanks again! I have more to come!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05