Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cataloguing English/United Kingdom Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 263Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
521 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  10:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm hoping that someone who is familiar with the Numista catologuing system may be able to help as I'm having difficulty sorting my Enlish/UK coins into some sort of logical order!

The problem is that there are two classifications for 'Pound sterling (1158-1970)', one under England and another under United Kingdom.

If you scroll through England you find that on Page 59 that the same coins are listed that are listed under the United Kingdom ... so do I catalogue these coins under England or United Kingdom e.g. 1886 Victoria Farthing?

Also I gather that I would list a 1700 William III Farthing under England as it doesn't show up under United Kingdom?

I hope this is clear enough for someone to advise me. I guess what I'm wanting is to know is when do you label a coin as United Kingdom rather than England? Is it by year or maybe a particular monarch?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
413 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  10:39 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest Numista is being a bit woolly with their categories. Prior to the Act of Union in 1707 England and Scotland were two separate countries, although with the same monarch after James I. So Coins pre-1707 should be listed as England or Scotland appropriately. After that coinage was issued jointly for the United Kingdom, which until Irish Independence, included Ireland. (Wales has not had separate coinage for much longer.) So post 1707, United Kingdom is correct.
Most of the World probably doesn't realise the distinctions, which is why Numista can get away with their vagueness.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
521 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A big thanks PaddyB for providing clarity on this for me!
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand, Krause and Mishler in their World Coins catalogs start out in their 17th-century catalog (1601-1700) using a country designation of "Great Britain." But I note this same 17th-century catalog also has separate entries for Scotland and Ireland. I note the country index does not even include the word "England."
Valued Member
United Kingdom
413 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  11:24 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which again is an inaccurate approximation. "Great Britain" actually only existed as an official Sovereign State from 1707 to 1801. Prior to that there was England and Scotland as separate countries. After 1801, with Act of Union, it became the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". When the bulk of the island of Ireland gained independence in 1922, it became the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
With some of the Scots pushing for independence, this may change again in the future.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingd...reat_Britain and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite..._and_Ireland
for more information.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 263Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05