Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959-D Jefferson Nickel / Grading And Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 310Next Topic  
Valued Member
Japan
125 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  04:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think?
I was wondering how much of a coin's "strike quality" has on the grade, if any at all. You can notice a lot of clashing / polishing lines here but it's covered up with a nice luster and tone.
If 1959 was a "bad year" for the JN, is that taken into consideration? Or are imperfections caused by the mint (putting, clashes, etc.) detrimental to the grade as well?

As always thanks guys!

Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does Tom have a (die) chip on his shoulder?

Strike quality has minimal impact on grade, maybe a point, and then only at 65 and above. OTOH strike quality, and quality relative to average for the date, will impact the coin's value. I like the sharpness of the lettering on yout coin, but do not care for the polishing lines, but that's just me. Other collectors will value other attributes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
552 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63 not FS, but overall pretty attractive coin
Edited by Nieuw
07/12/2020 3:40 pm
Valued Member
Japan
125 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! So by this theory, if these clashes / lines were a particular "variety" of 1959-d nickel (i.e. morgan-peace dollar pitted reverse), then this coin would have a very nice grade.
Righto?
Valued Member
Japan
125 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any link from PCGS/NGC that gives a detailed account of the specifics of grading?
Subjective to technical ratios that are considered, formulae that take into account a specific coin's history, etc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a link for you, but can say in theory every coin grades MS-70 at the minting press, and it's downhill from there. Another coin bumps it as it leaves the press, now down to MS-69. As it is is bagged at the mint, another coin bangs harder against it, now MS-67. The truck ride from the mint adds more dings, now MS-66, etc.

Conversely, even misfigured coins, such as ones bent in the press, can be graded MS-65 or better if they are marred by few hits.

Your nickel has a deep hit on Monticello's dome. Big hits reduce the grade more than small ones. Hits in fields, because they are more visible, reduce the grade more than hits on the devices. I'd put your coin at MS-65.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 with lots of die polish lines. Interesting coin.
Brazil
18 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FullStepper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen P, I believe this question has been answered by most grading parties. Lets start with basics first. What does MS stand for? What does BU stand for? Nowhere in these grade designations does it mention die cleaning or worn dies or damaged dies from the mint. So any coin leaving the mint regardless of eye appeal will be BU/MS. Grading companies though have broken down grades and increased a coins value based on "eye appeal" but regardless of how a die was cleaned the coin is graded according to the industries standards. Hope this helps.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 310Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05