Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

10 Cent Fractional Currency

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 431Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Trying to gain some knowledge on this particular fractional currency note.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you have is a 10 cent fractional currency which is the third issue of 5 separate issues. The third issue was for the 3, 5, 10, 25, and 50 cent denomination. They were printed between December 5,1864 and August 17,1869. The 3 and 10 cent note has a picture of George Washington. The 3rd was the only one with a 3 cent note.There are 7 varieties of the 10 cents. You probably have F1255 which has the green back.If you want value, yours is in very sad condition most collectors won't buy it. Maybe worth $2-$3 at most. If it was uncirculated it would be worth ~ $135 I also have F1255 in VF, I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Several "cool" facts about this series are:
1) the 3 cent was only issued for this series to make it easier to buy stamps and was quickly stopped as the government issued the silver Trime.
2) the 5 cents had a picture of the current currency director Spencer Clark, this resulted in congress creating a law that no living person could be on currency.
3) the 50 cent note had 3 separate versions.

Note: the above was updated as I gave you the wrong series previously.
Edited by hfjacinto
07/12/2020 10:11 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, your teachings are priceless, and paramount to my growth.

Gratefully
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I look forward to your photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I posted the wrong series information, I updated it with the correct series. I have both notes (1st and 3rd) and just thought first. Sadly the 3rd series 10 cent I have is only VF, not CU.
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few from that series. Sorry I didn't want to pull them out and rescan, so I'm just re-using an old pic. I just wanted you to see the bronze overprint that has mostly worn off your note, although on the reverse of your note I can see a bit of the large thin "10" left.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! @captaincoffee
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
captaincoffee, good night those are gorgeous. Makes you go into thought and wonder what it took many people, over many years, to maintain suck beauty.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, no worries at all. One particular piece of information you taught I feel lazy for not knowing...no living person can be on current.

Thanks a ton for your time, both of you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Narivearapaho, this is the 1st series 10 cent. There is a similar look to the 1st and 3rd series, and your was missing the bronze overprints.

Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have plenty of ugly notes as well.
One of the things that is fun about collecting fractional notes is that you can get pretty nice examples (with a few exceptions) without spending a huge amount of money. Reasonably large amounts were printed, and the designs were changed frequently due to forgeries and other issues. They were a bit of a curiosity even back then, so plenty were set aside.
Due to an oversight, the word "cents" doesn't actually appear anywhere on the 3rd series 10 cent note.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here's a couple I have--5 cent is 3rd series--10 cent is 5th series--

Pillar of the Community
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Nativearapaho attached is my 3rd issue 10 cent.

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 431Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05