Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

50 Cent Fractional Currency Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 594Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
153 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A fire was kindled during and after my post yesterday. This done in regards to the 10 cent fractional currency note I received so much intriguing knowledge about.
I went back to the gentleman and purchased a 50 cent note. Really don't know much about it, could I squeeze some more wisdom free of you?
And for future references, where is the best study material available for the fractional currency series?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Nativearapaho,

I use this book for my notes. They have a chapter on Fractional Currency.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...e=UTF8&psc=1

As to the 50 cent you posted. That was from the 4th issue. I don't have this one but I wanted it, in better condition the paper actually changes to a light blue. Its very pretty.

The person on the note is Edwin Stanton, who is the Secretary of War. The 4th issue is the prettiest of all the issues, and it included 10, 15 (only issue of 15 cents), 25 and 3 different versions of the 50 cents. The one of Lincoln is the most expensive. Yours note is issue number F-1376. The notes were issued from 7/14/1869 to 2/16/1875.
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, can't thank you enough for getting me off in the right direction.

I'd like to give you this note. As a token of appreciation. Appreciation of invaluable guidance I'll have the remainder of my life.

Gratefully,

Nativearapaho
Pillar of the Community
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nativearapaho,

Thank you but you don't have to. I enjoy fractional currency as much as you do. When I can I go to the LCS and go through all the notes. Even though I have examples of most, I enjoy looking at them in person. Coolest thing about Fractional is not only how cool they are, but the time they came from (civil war), one of the times of profound change in America, kind of like now and the 1920-1930's, one the reasons I like coins from those times. For someone to save a coin/note from those times for all these years, its a surprise that we still have them around ;) And I really like giving information. I mean most posts on here are I found this coin, in a parking lot that I drove over a few times, but this damage has to come from the mint, how much is it worth

Answering questions about fractional notes is so much more enjoyable than those posts! Thank you for posting them!
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand, in my heart, your passion.
Your welcome.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money. One piece of advice I can give you is to buy a version of this or the one @hfjacinto mentioned that is a few editions old used on Amazon. The newest edition might be $20+, but a 3-year-old edition might be $5 used. 100+ year old notes haven't changed in the last few years. The only advantage of the new editions might be more updated pricing, but the pricing is crap anyway.

To your banknote, this one is fourth issue (there were 5 total issues of fractional notes) and the guy on the note is Stanton. He was Secretary of War during the Civil War. He's also on the 1891 $1 bill and a 7-cent stamp. There are actually two other 50 cent bills in the fourth series with portraits of Lincoln and Dexter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1285 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is quick, concise overview of U.S. Frational Currency:
https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/artic...al-Currency/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Nativearapaho,

Because of you I picked up a 50 cent Stanton!

Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This book is considered one of the best references for Fractional Currency. It contains information on every regular issue plus Specimens notes (the Grant/Sherman note, bottom left on the cover, is a specimen note), Experimentals, Presentation books, and Fractional Currency Shields. Both contain suggested values albeit the large format is a bit dated. There is also a section showing examples of each regular issue in color. It also has a small section with suggestions for a couple of different type sets. The original edition was printed in a large format, while the current edition is in regular book size. Its available from the author at Robert J. Kravitz, POB 303, Wilton, CA 95693 for $32.99 postpaid in the United States.
There is also a specialty club, the Fractional Currency Collectors Board. Membership is $30 and includes a copy of Milt Freidbergs updated version of The Encyclopedia of United States Postage and Fractional Currency. Contact is Dave Stitely, Membership Chair, Box 136, Gradyville PA 19039.
I have a complete type set of fractional currency, but I once had the opportunity to look at an almost complete collection at the Long Beach coin show some years ago. The collection was missing only 7 of the Freidberg numbers listed for Postage and Fractional and was spectacular!
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are my Grant/Sherman note and my Lincoln. I bought both of these from the author of the above book some years ago.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

There is an updated version of the book you documented.

Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, thats the small size of Kravitz book and the latest printing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
583 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me wants a Currency Shield!!
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those also fall into specialized stamp collecting, so you can also look for info and/or past results in postal auction listings.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05