Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

It Is You Against A Top TPG. Lets See Will Be

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 813Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
896 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please grade this 1966 Dollar as close and detailed as you can.
Also please add your comment to it.
Currently the coin is graded and resides in a well known TPG slab.
A few of you might have seen a similar coin.
If so, please try not to spoil the fun and anticipation for others.
Looking Fwd to the results.
Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17159 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The soft hair detail on Elizabeth is very similar to Australian coins in absolute pristine condition, that have the Machin bust.

Scuff between the 'A' and 'D', and very light scuff in front of the Queen's face. Slight rubbing on the her shoulder.
MS-65
Pillar of the Community
Canada
593 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, ms-65
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2946 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ms 64-65 small beads variety, very nice coin.. the "i" in Regina points direct to a bead..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8029 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PL65
Canadian TPG's are torn between MS and PL for '66 small beads.
US TPG's are unambiguous.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
07/13/2020 11:53 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9187 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a grading forum, it makes it so much easier if we can see the whole coin, without the red & orange font on top of it.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
4781 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I avoid grading non-US coins.
IMO the grading standards are different -- and stricter.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8029 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP's style is very familiar.
He's been here before.
This isn't a grading exercise.
It's going to become a riddle and rant.
That's his style.
Information and entertainment both on one site.
It's what the news aspires to be.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
07/14/2020 10:01 am
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Little surprised while reading this and scrolling down seeing other people's opinion. I personally would not have even fathomed a 65, the scuff in front of the mouth and nose are giant looking and I see tons of marks elsewhere. Obviously with a single picture it is difficult to judge but my initial thought was 63 at best. I'm guessing the US TPG slapped it with an MS not a PL but who knows. Hopefully DBM is right and we get some nice infotainment!
Learn More...
United States
26954 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
634 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im not great at grading but ill say MS-62 Small Beads.

I would assume for MS-65 the only thing that would be acceptable regarding the appearance would be toning. Looks like way too many scuffs and questionable areas for an MS-65 designation IMO.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1674 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PL 65
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3405 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite typical for this issue ( 1966 Small Beads) .
One side business strike and one side PL .
Buying the coin and not the NGC holder
would only be interested at 63 money .
In all fairness this is a pretty nice example
as most are quite baggy on the obverse .
I am going to guess NGC called this particular piece ... 64.
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd grade it as MS-64, but I am less experienced as a grader than many here. As previously mentioned, the scuff in front of the Queen's effigy and the scuff between the A and the D on the reverse hold it back from being MS-65, IMO.

My 2019 Charlton catalogue lists prices in the MS column and a price in the PL-65 column. There is also a note saying that these dollars are a mix between mint state and proof-like because of the route they took from rejection (originally to be sent back to the mint in Ottawa for melting) to final (inadvertent) shipment to a bank branch.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1042 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pl64, I think, chatter on neck indicates a pl, not sure if the rest is just lighting/camera/angle elements or not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
896 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your interesting comments and grades.
Although, I am a bit surprised about some grades and comments.
Some of you agreed with NGC, some did not, for whatever reason.
But everyone has their own opinion.
Please consider the following when grading a coin using a picture: a macro lens will reveal every ever so tiny fault as it will become exceptionally large and visible. Nothing is hidden through lighting influx or angel trickery. The lens becomes a powerful microscope, looking at the coin from the top, straight down. What you see in the image is what is there. Often you see a "perfectly good" looking coin in catalogues or on- line, just to find out later that in hand it looks like a very different coin, as "photo-trickery", purposely or not, made all the little issues go away. European Auction Houses are well known for that.
Some of you have recognized this coin is of the Small Beads Variety. It is scarce for that reason.
Many collectors or even dealers probably have never had the opportunity to have or see a small beads 1966 dollar. You would most likely not even recognize it if you had it in your hand. Unless you knew what to look for.
Believe it or not, there are still some of them "in the wild" amongst the 10s of thousands large beads.
CCF Management has advised me that the original post should have been posted in the Varieties Forum.
Yes, I guess, that was my mistake and I sincerely apologize for that.
So, the subject is continued at the Varieties Forum with the same basic image, but without the imprinted colors.
Also, another image is posted there, showing minute details between Large and Small beads. You may copy that image for your own purposes if you wish.
The title on the Variety forum is: 1966 Small Beads Dollar and how to recognize the small beads.
link:
http://goccf.com/t/378321
Edited by 47P7
07/14/2020 9:24 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 813Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05