Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934 $500 And $5000 Specimen Bills

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,561Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alacran333 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upon closer examination I now see the word specimen is written in little black ink dots! #128561;
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The back is upside down and reversed?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5454 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.... to the Community!

Any background details about them from your grandmother or other family members? Did she work at a major bank, clearinghouse Or for the Treasury department?

My initial guess is both are some kind of replicas, but honestly I do not know for sure. The green small stamp looks like an oriental "chop marking" of some kind.

They are either worth nothing if they are replicas, but could be worth a small fortune if genuine.

You'll just have to do more homework. You could talk to one of the 3rd party currency grading companies and get an opinion from them.

Good luck!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50499 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is not the $500 note the exact district and S/N that Steve in Tampa posted in uniface with punch-through holes above? This has to be bogus.
Edited by Coinfrog
07/14/2020 10:02 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alacran333 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does seem to have the same face but mine does have the back as well. I believe its what you would call reversed? I can see the word specimen on the opposite side when held up.
Grandma was very influential in Mexico back in the day, received a lot of gifts from politicians and such.

Was able to ask my uncle about the mark, he claims it's a mark of authenticity?
Edited by Alacran333
07/14/2020 10:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50499 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am frankly suspicious of both of these.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2841 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The auction description of the examples I posted describe them as printed on card stock, not paper.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50499 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that, Steve.
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5454 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Black ink dots simulating the word "Specimen" (instead of being punched thru the paper) tells me that this is most likely a novelty of some sort.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it unless somebody comes up with a better explanation.

Pillar of the Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will find that Treasury only made uniface specimens at this time.

The fact that the word SPECIMEN is not punched through is a huge red flag that these are not genuine. That is how Treasury made specimens at this time.

If you are convinced they are genuine, PCGS Banknote is not far from Palm Springs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35547 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this has become a dead issue
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be a "found in grandpas attic" type of post.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5454 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2020  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP has kinda disappeared, too!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Typical. Op has disappeared.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05