Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Bicen. Is This Doubling In 1776 Or Useless

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 190Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  10:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jatour to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not very good at this DD thing I Got this in change today. I think I see doubling in the date mostly 1776 Just wondering if this is what I'm lookin for

Edited by Jatour
07/14/2020 11:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45633 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the lighting your using is not helping you. The angle is too low. When it is too low, it reflects off the sides of the devices. A light placed at a higher angle, but not as strong as you are using will do more just to your images. On your last image, I can tell you are using two lights. One at the right angle to (Light to the right) illuminate the coin. But the second source at 6:00 is too low making the sides of the devices reflect. On close up micro images, you only need a single light source. Why is that better? Light and shadows show detail on the devices. Too much light will cause glare. The glare turns that area white in your images. Light and shadows show contour of the devices. A light too low, just makes reflection. Allow the light and shadows to flow across the coin creating shadows that help show definition.

See how the light that is on the left side of the image, falls over the areas showing the spread with a shadow of light and darkness? If the light was on the right, then the areas of spread would not show the contour as well. So rather than spotlighting what you are trying to show, allow the single light to fall across the area you want to show. (The spread of the devices from the hub doubling)
From your devices I see a lot of glare. That is because of the light that is reflecting off a flat surface. Flat surface? The Machine Doubling removes the contour of the devices and reflects off the flattened area. I use inverted to show a side by side of how the glare hides the Machine Doubling:

Note how the lower image does not show the MD. The coin searcher see it, but the glare from the flatten area hides it in a reflection. Note on the image on top. Inverting the colors, makes the MD show. The lower image had glare that hides this. Machine Doubling is not hub doubling, but damage to the devices after the strike. Kind of a kick in the shins on the fresh struck devices. Hope this helps. But is not, ask more questions. That is the best way to learn.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34690 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too much glare. It looks like you are taking a photo of your monitor and posting that,if so not a good idea. Post direct from your computer to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jatour to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time. Ive just been posting alot of what looks like doubling but been way off I'm starting to get it though I think I knew my lights were issue I know ive been way off. but I will keep posting. Its funny you posted that 1972 because I'm looking at that very coin as we speak I think. Il post it shortly
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 190Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05