Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Medieval AR Denar/Penny To Identify - With Archer?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 247Next Topic  
Germany
11 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  09:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ManOnTheRoad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,
I would be grateful for any tips as to the ID of this coin. Could the rev. be an archer holding an arrow in one hand and a bow in the other? Or a cross in left hand and bow in right hand?
Thanks for any hints.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3595 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unusual coin ... Agree it is not at all clear what this figure is holding.

Hopefully someone will recognize it (I can't). Could be a sword (right hand) and a shield (left). Or a staff (right) maybe making it a bishop's coinage?

Other side seems to have gothic letters R O A O h ?
Germany
11 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ManOnTheRoad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you tdziemia,
yes - it could be a shield as well. I've searched through countless denars/silver pennies online and there are quite a number of Eastern European coins round about 10-12th century with figures that hold a sword and shield, albeit none that match even remotely in terms of both obv. and rev.
Quite a puzzle! :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3595 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have three catalogs covering medievals of specific places. I do not see a match for medieval Poland, although there is one 12th c. denar type with standing monarch facing, holding sword & shield (Gum.93... reverse is not a match). Likewise, Lorraine has deniers in the early 14th c. with the duke facing, holding sword and shield, but the reverse lettering is always a variant of the mint name, N A N C E I.

(By the way, I guessed that letter at 10:00 on yours as an R, but more likely a K. K A could be part of KAROLUS, but that third letter looks like a lower case h to me)
Other members have catalogs covering Bohemia, Hungary, etc...
Good luck!
Edited by tdziemia
07/16/2020 09:00 am
Learn More...
United States
16631 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@motr, as it turns out I picked up a brother to your coin a couple months ago. This is a Denar from the German County of Brechna and dates to between 1325 and 1355 AD. Interestingly, that reverse inscription is something like OTOROTONh.

Mine is attributed as Dannenberg AS 84 and Thormann 206, which should be a good starting point for you. Here is a link to another similar coin:

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...026&lot=5646

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3595 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Helpful coincidence!

Germany
11 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ManOnTheRoad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the expert help in attribution! Wow, that's impressive. And I'm glad my guess wasn't too far off. I had checked Bohemian denars and even did an online search of Brandenburg / Saxonia ones. But without your help wouldn't have ever placed it I think!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 247Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05