Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Think I Have Been Hit With A New Style Fake 1

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 468Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  1:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add no1ontrend to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As the title of this says.
Think I have been hit with a fake 1 coin in my change.
What do you think of this whopper

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7473 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it magnetic? Is its weight different from a known genuine coin?
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add no1ontrend to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for reply, I dont have a magnet to check if its magnetic,
But I weighed it and it weighs 8.64g.
And another known genuine pound coin weighing in at 8.80g. Beside the known genuine coin it looks laughable
Edited by no1ontrend
07/27/2020 1:35 pm
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add no1ontrend to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is it, side by side a known genuine coin

Learn More...
United States
89942 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
909 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks absolutely faked to me.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
978 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks as though it's been in a dryer...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50420 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could a dryer do that much damage? Why on earth would anyone bother making such a crude counterfeit?

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
07/27/2020 5:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
683 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

On your coin there appears to be traces of the micro lettering, in particular on the obverse edge by the date. Can we have a close-up of that part?

If the micro lettering is present, it would be strange that such a fine detail be reproduced given the crudeness of all the rest. My guess at the moment is that this is a genuine coin which has had a hard life. The close-up will help decide.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
785 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! The odd 'seams' around the rim look a bit dodgy to me, but I too would be interested to see the edge. I have a few fakes of the old style 1 but haven't seen one of these copied before!
United Kingdom
41 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenscot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are definitely forgeries of the new one pound coin in circulation. This is one I received in change.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
188 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moralclimate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tokenscot, the pills (middles) of the 12-sided 1 are plated brass, the brass identical to that of the rings. So with enough wear, parts of the pill would turn the colour of the ring but not vice versa. This suggests yours is genuine (too). If it were a cast fake, being the simplest kind of fake, we would expect a white metal i.e. lead, tin or an alloy thereof to show through everywhere.

@no1ontrend, for my tuppence worth I think since "ONE POUND" can be read in the obverse microlettering, there is no evidence of anything other than post mint damage.

We know of 1-2 'makes' of struck fake 12-sided 1, excluding Chinese-made fake trial pieces. They/most appear to emanate from Sheffield area. http://www.thefakepoundcoindatabase...ewPound.html This includes a link to Check Your Change's analysis of one which found it to be part-plated, mainly a weird silver-coloured Cu-Zn-Ni alloy. It appears the same/main maker has also made two relatively rare fake 2 models.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 468Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05