Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

August 2020 New Issues

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 3,218Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on the gold coin acquisition, MoneyPenney. It looks really good.

I also received my Bill Reid gold coin this week. However, it has the worst quality I have ever seen on a gold coin: there are at least two dents on the coin.

Below are full pictures:

Below are the dents at the centre of each image:

Had the gold price been below $2,000, I would definitely return it right away. But I purchased this coin very early with a 5% discount from Gatewest (about $3,039), so the purchase price is almost the same as a 1-oz gold bullion coin sold on eBay. As a result, I may keep this coin, even though I'm unsatisfied with the quality. What do you guys think?

Also, because of this experience and a similar experience involving a 2-oz gold coin in 2017, I'm wondering if Gatewest always sends lower-quality coins to customers who purchased them at lower prices? Am I overthinking it?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6670 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a result, I may keep this coin, even though I'm unsatisfied with the quality. What do you guys think?

The coin is great, and seems very insignificant imperfection to me. Couldn't see the dents on the first non-magnified image.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4616 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few years ago I got caught up with the frenzy on the US Kennedy gold piece, when they arrived from US Mint, the quality of the coin, ms 69 or 70 and even the packaging was much superior to the RCM products, also priced better as to bullion value.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2756 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you guys think?

Also, because of this experience and a similar experience involving a 2-oz gold coin in 2017, I'm wondering if Gatewest always sends lower-quality coins to customers who purchased them at lower prices? Am I overthinking it?

Looking closely at my coin I did not see any dents in it. Even if it had dents, it would not bother me as long as they are not visible under the naked eye. If you use a strong enough magnifying glass you will find imperfections on almost every coin.

As for Gatewest Coins, I doubt they inspect every coin they sell under a magnifying glass for imperfections. It is just too labor intensive to do so for the high volume of coins they sell.
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of your feedback. I just want to say the dents don't need a magnifying glass to see. I'm near sighted and I can still see them with the naked eye. I never use a magnifying glass.
Valued Member
Canada
407 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So with all over the earlier discussion on the $20 Silver variant being either painted or a decal on an otherwise flat field... how in heavens name can this coin get an "Ultra Cameo" designation? Don't get me wrong... I like the image but this is TPG attribution gone nutz.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2020-Canada...AOSw~49fjwxy
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3180 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the cameo will be on the queen's side, .. photo's aren't doing it any favors..
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 3,218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05