Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post #34: Does This Roman Empire Denarius Look Fake Or Authentic?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 199Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin weighs 2.3g and is 20mm in diameter. If any of you spot a fake in this coin please let me know.

Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks authentic.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know why there this coin has extra shiny surfaces and a low weight? Environmental Damage perhaps?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3209 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The few coins I have bothered to examine (which you have posted) all look like they have been 'electrocuted' by someone that practices the evil arts
In this condition they are of little or no value to most serious collectors
You would be better off if they had simply drilled holes in them
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FVRIVS RVFVS do they look faked to you? I agree they look pretty bad, is there any way to explain their strange appearence?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5109 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the event you are unfamiliar with what FR refers to, here's the entry for electrolysis from Numiswiki:

Electrolysis
Also referred to as zapping, nuking, or frying; electrolysis is a poor method for cleaning coins using electricity. It can be useful if done properly by a practiced expert but as a tool used by amateurs the results are usually dismal.

Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I see what you mean, thanks for the clarification
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 199Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05