Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Noob In Collecting Coins / Morgan Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 380Next Topic  

Croatia (Locally: Hrvatska)
2 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  5:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The_Pope to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello people.
Excited to see this forum. I"m philatelist from Europe who decided to start collecting coins.
Dont know much about that. Like USA coins (look the most beautiful to me). So I decided to start with Morgan dollar coins. For the start I bought 2 common and not top preserved Morgan dollar coins from ebay. Hope didnt buy fake coins. Was watching some Youtube videos how to recognize fake, but...

Do You have some advice for the Morgan dollar starter?

Here Are pics of coins I bought.

Edited by The_Pope
07/28/2020 5:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34763 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Make sure to check out our stamp forum,left side of page.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
9317 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! Not to worry, the two Morgans you purchased are authentic circulated examples.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1252 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Learn More...
United States
88777 Posts
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A: try not to buy any damaged coins.
B: Don't overpay for something unless you really like it.
C: You can build a decent set of around 50+ Morgans in those grades
(like the ones you have pictured) fairly cheap and they make a great
starter set + Silver value!
D: Enjoy!
Croatia (Locally: Hrvatska)
2 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The_Pope to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You all. Happy to be here.

Any advice how to store my Morgan dollars for a longer period of time?

Where to find out realistic value of Morgan dollar coins? Not catalogue ones.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34763 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Store them in 2x2's or AiriTites capsules. As to realistic values,check eBay sold values for all but rare dates. Use an auction site for sold values like Heritage Auctions for the rare dates.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United Kingdom
133 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Might I make a suggestion of, though it will be more expensive, buying higher grade coins if you can afford it? You'll not be able to build the set as quickly but one thing I really wish someone had told me when I started collecting is that quantity =/ quality. Now I'm stuck with a load of low grade coins from when I started many years ago that I can't really do anything with, nor are they really good to look at. Obviously, if most of your money is going on stamps and you'd rather get as close to a set as possible then buying lower grades won't matter so much. However, if you intend to make this a serious hobby then you'll really be grateful for investing more in better examples many years down the line.

My advice would be to learn about coin grading, values, storage and other such areas before delving too deep - as I mentioned Morgan dollars isn't typically where people start because mistakes can be very costly and the set itself is very expensive, so people typically start on other sets (if you overpay for a Buffalo nickel by a few dollars then it's no biggie, but if you've no knowledge of Morgan dollars you could be overpaying by tens of dollars or even more). Not to say that you couldn't start with Morgans, but please do your research beforehand.

Feel free to ask questions here - don't be afraid to ask them because we're here to help - there are plenty of Morgan collectors on here who'll be able to guide you far more than I.
Edited by Collector28
08/04/2020 09:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9317 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many ways to collect Morgan dollars and none are wrong in my opinion. I have a circulated set I'm working on in the two volume Dansco album that includes all date/ mint marks. I chose G to Fine condition to maintain aesthetic balance and keep it affordable (somewhat). I also have a date set that I'm working on in a Dansco album shooting for MS on the common date years and EF/AU on the 93, 94 and 95 dates. Then I also collect Morgan dollars by the die pairing, known as VAM number after the founders of the study Leroy VanAllen and George Mallis. Bottom line is just do what you like and enjoy the hunt.
1883-O Nut
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05