Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Morgan 1921 D - Why Is This Coin Graded MS67?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,340Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its not eye candy, that is for sure, its not elephant man ugly, but certainly unattractive :)

But I think the elephant in the room is.....

Would anyone pay US $8,427.00 for it?

NGC Book is $16000.00

PCGS Book is $23500.00

Big gap there.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Edited by farrider11
08/03/2020 2:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1548 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife was on the phone with her sister, which gave me several hours (just kidding, dear!) to play around with the pics. After flattening the color, increasing contrast, sharpening parts of the image, and zooming in on key areas of the coin, I have to withdraw my earlier opinion.

@Ty2020b nailed it. Not only are the areas Ty2020b circled contact marks, many of the toning cracks follow other contact marks, though not as deep as the circled ones.

The reverse is much better than the obverse. I think the reverse makes MS-66. After further review, the obverse call is overturned. That's no 67. It's also no 66. It may make 65.

There's a huge price gap between 66 and 67 for a 1921-D. I agree now, this is no 67.

Reason #6,211 why I hate ugly toned coins.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like toned Morgans and I don't like it haha. id pay MS-64 money at most
Pillar of the Community
Canada
661 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is also an example of why I absolutely HATE what market grading has done to the hobby. If I'm buying an MS-67 graded coin for MS-67 money, then I WANT AN MS-67 COIN, not an MS-65 with "attractive" toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, as stated before. TPGs should grade purely on a technical scale, based on contact marks, strike, and of course luster will play a factor. But toning, should not be a factor. At most, give it their star designation for what they consider eye appeal, but a point or two higher in grades, come on. Especially considering, as FC said, with so many coins, there's a big jump in that 65-67 range. Why give a coin a point or more jump, because of what 50% of the population MAY consider appealing. Grade technical, let someone pay a premium for toning if they want, don't influence the market any more than it already is and has been TPGs.

Edit: I promise this is my last rant on this coin.
Edited by Ty2020b
08/04/2020 12:35 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see it now, sitting around over the weekend, your friends over, your knocking back a few brews, and he says, let's see what's new in your collection.......

You pull this out and say I only gave $8427 for it. What do you think? I get a deal or what? Lol ;)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Edited by farrider11
08/04/2020 12:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1548 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You pull this out and say I only gave $8427 for it. What do you think? I get a deal or what? Lol ;)

If I paid $8427 for anything, my widow would show it and tell her friends ". . . and then I whacked him over the head with the frying pan . . ."
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's almost like a piece of abstract art, where prices never make any sense to the common mind.

This. Some of them look like they were done by a 2nd grader, and sell for $$$. As for this coin, it's butt ugly to me.
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05