Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 Proof Dime- Should I Clean With Acetone?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 380Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  11:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Steven49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My 1953 proof Roosevelt dime originally came in a cellophane sleeve. I am not sure if the discoloration is from that or just natural contact with the environment. What is your opinion and do you think acetone would clean the brown marks?
I tried the acetone (second obverse picture) and everyone was right who commented that it did not change the coin.
I wish I could take a picture of the coin that reflects its beautiful shine and eye appeal.
I did put the coin in an airtight capsule.
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Before Acetone

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
After Acetone
Edited by Steven49
07/30/2020 8:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13765 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone will not remove the brown spots . Do not use anything on it or you will ruin the coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
593 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say leave it as is, well put it in an airtight capsule or something, it looks real nice.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17159 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say give it an acetone bath.
Most probably won't achieve anything,
but it won't do any harm, either.

It there is any organic substance on the coin that substance can react with the metal and stain it.
The reason why an acetone bath won't help now is because if the organic substance has already been there for some time, it has already done it's worst, and has already stained the coin.

If anyone freshly fingerprints a proof coin with careless handling, it should be given an acetone bath immediately.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34683 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69l,
Are you sure it is safe to use on a proof coin? I think that is the OPs' question.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
07/30/2020 04:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4048 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with sel.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone would be perfectly safe, but highly unlikely to remove what looks like peripheral toning on the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49447 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19401 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say give it a try. Will not effect the coin itself.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only way to remove the toning is a quick dip in something like JeweLuster
or a similar product. I wouldn't try it on a proof coin though...
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05