Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Type Set Beginning: 1882 H Victoria Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 277Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10651 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  02:24 am Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently decided to delve into a Canadian type set for reasons unknown so I thought I would post additions as I get them and am able to take pics. Below is the first coin I purchased. I believe this is the Obverse #1, but any more specifics would be appreciated. Thoughts?

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an Obv 1a and you picked the one year with many "types". An Obv 1 will have a very pointed neck truncation that nearly touches on the bead the bead, just like an 1876 coin. The 1a is rounded and there is more space between the tip and the bead like yours is. There is also an Obv 1a/1, where a 1a hub is restruck over a partially finished working die (it takes 2-3 presses of the hub onto the working die to make it complete)so you have attributes of both .. it will have a pointed truncation almost on the bead, but you will see a little "bump" where the 1a influence is seen. Get a Charlton and look at the Obverse types. 1882 was a transition year where they modified the Obverse away from the 1876 type and created new dies. They came up with a new Obv 2, where the truncation did not end directly on or above the bead .. it was rounded and ended between the beads ... the tip moving slightly to the left. The tip of the crown also directly intercepts a bead at the top and melts into it .. unlike a 1 or 1a where the crown tip doesn't touch. The most visible change from a 1 to a 2 was that the smooth, rounded chin/throat of Vicky was now older with a dimple or crease in it. Lastly, you have some Obv 2/1 overpunch (scarce) with some doubling, the truncation between the beads, the crown tip touching the top bead (like a 2), but the chin/throat is smooth/rounded like an Obv 1. No other year has 5 possible Obv types (1, 1a, 1a/1, 2 and 2/1).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10651 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks for all of the info! I did think of getting a Charlton, but wasn't sure if I really needed it since my goal is just a type set and not full series. I will look into it.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't have to be a Charlton (and they're not the best or comprehensive) ... just one that physically shows and explains the different "types" or "series" of Obverses and Reverses for years and/or monarchs. The book doesn't even have to be new .. used coin guides a few year's old do the trick, since you don't need the inaccurate pricing anyway. It would be nice if the reference book/guide had a comprehensive section on grading as well. You have a nice start for your series ... nice coins.
Edited by okiecoiner
07/31/2020 05:37 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 277Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05