Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 D Close AM Found, Pictures Included

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 3,531Next Topic
Page: of 7
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taylorism to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin shipped for grading at PCGS today. A huge thanks to GrapeCollects for his help with that! I really appreciate it. I will be sure to post the grade when I get it back. Hopefully the turnaround isn't too long. Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, awesome find! Can't wait to see the update when it comes back!!
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Pillar of the Community
United States
803 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Grape is one swell fella! Keep us posted!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35487 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you having them conserve it as well?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taylorism to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No just an as is grading. Leaving it untouched.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tayorism Congrarts again on your wonderful Rare Find. We all want to find that LIL stinker but there aint enough to go around your one of the lucky ones.. Question to any and all reading this post. If he taken the Conservation choice of the coin, would PCGS have to marked it as CLEANED, What is the prosses? do they re-cost it with copper or just clean it. Would be nice to give is a new shiny copper coating lol Thanks
Edited by Daves Errors
08/04/2020 1:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35487 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do not re-plate it,they "for lack of a better word" clean it. I guess "conserve" is the proper word. There is an additional charge. I do not know if they would then give it a details title,or if another TPG would be able to tell it was professionally conserved.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
803 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They never guarantee it to come back as a straight grade. They will do as much as they can to conserve the coin, in turn improving the aesthetics and to act as a preventative, BUT depending on the measures they take, the grader may or may not deem it "cleaned". I've seen it go both ways.

IMO, if there's a higher chance of it already getting a DETAILS grade, then it wouldn't hurt to do the conservation, or if there is too much distracting staining, residue, etc. If it doesn't have any of the above and will most likely straight grade, then I'd say leave it be.

You just never know how it will turn out, being they will not share how they will conserve the coin, you have to hope and trust their process and that's about it.
Edited by Ty2020b
08/04/2020 2:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say on a rare coin, Like a old car make it look new LOL recoat it with new copper.
Pillar of the Community
United States
803 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would say on a rare coin, Like a old car make it look new LOL recoat it with new copper.

I really hope you're joking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did ya not see the >> LOL yes I am joking
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 3,531Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05