Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934-S Walking Liberty Blast White Example...thoughts On Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 373Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  02:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this coin (it's raw) and just received it today in the mail.
Looks even better in hand with very attractive brightness (Blast White) I believe this came out of a roll and was well preserved.
It's a tougher date especially in higher grade and the striking looks to be above normal on this example.
Like to hear what others may think on a grade.
Appreciate Comments!

Pillar of the Community
United States
6280 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice walker
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13761 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EDS ; Full thumb ,head, breast plate and skirt lines . Reverse full breast and leg feathers . Full mint bloom on entire coin . MS-67 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
8975 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hard to photograph this one without getting light washout on some of the surfaces. I'm in at MS66. nice walker
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21156 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing a lot of friction on these surfaces when I look at the blow up photos. Either AU-58 or MS details for wiping.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2190 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MS details for wiping.
Nice coin but cleaned in one way or another. IMHO
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49414 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us pics with different lighting?
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, something is off on these surfaces, especially the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
591 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58+
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lunch Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I see what you all are seeing. They are what I would call "micro scratches" from wiping the obverse, mostly visible in open field areas. It's odd that I don't see it on the reverse though. Am I seeing the wrong thing?
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mojomanbob54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Nice coin EDS Full details Obverse Reverse no or very small hairlines People who grade this coin as AU , need to study the Waling Liberty and do so without prejudice! MS65 maybe tad better Bob
Pillar of the Community
United States
7614 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MS details for wiping.

Quote:
Nice coin but cleaned in one way or another. IMHO

It is well struck but has surface issues.
Edited by numismatic student
08/01/2020 8:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
591 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.People who grade this coin as AU , need to study the Waling Liberty and do so without prejudice! MS65 maybe tad better Bob

That's what I did, and I came up with AU-58+. tbh it would seem there is more of a prejudice in grading this coin mintstate. This coin has obvious wear and luster disturbance as well as circulation hairlines.

There seems to be a I've seen, mainly in US Numismatics, but also in Canadian numismatics unfortunately where there seems to be a push to grade coins with more and more leniency. There are basic standards that apply to all coins, ie wear and luster disturbance, and signs of handling = circulation. So often now do I see obviously circulated coins getting higher mintstate grades just because of a slightly stronger strike, if I paid MS-65 money and received this coin I would honestly feel beyond ripped.

That said, it's still a very nice coin and I think makes for a very nice example.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17154 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No wear, lots of luster both sides.
Reasonably sharp strike, doesn't affect the grade, but helps eye appeal and thus potentially increases the value.

Also lots of tiny nicks - the sun shows these up quite well.
More obvious nick between the 'B' and the 'E' (obverse).

MS-62 but
could potentially get better value than standard MS-62 money.
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting comments from au to ms67.
I purchased this coin just to add to my (s) Walkers. It looked nice enough to me to acquire as it's already in the mail for grading. Once I get the grade results, I will update this thread to inform all. Thanks for the comments and have a great day!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05