Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Confused About Variety Of 1803 Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 371Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  2:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to identify the variety of an 1803 large cent. I collect mostly 19th and early 20th century silver, and this is the first time I've actually examined the few large cents I've acquired along the way.

I've been studying some good photos, and my coin seems to have a small date, small fraction, and no stems on the wreath.

I've seen listings of coins with every combination of date and fraction size, and I've seen listings of coins with "no stems." But I haven't seen a listing for a coin with a small date AND a small fraction AND no stems. So, what do I have?

Also, as I was examining the fraction of my coin with a magnifier, I noticed that the bar between the 1 and the 100 seems to be doubled, with the second, lightly struck bar just touching the 100. Is this of any interest?

I can probably figure out how to upload a photo if necessary.
Any insight that anyone can provide would be appreciated.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - photos are definitely needed but is sounds like the S-243
Welcome to CCF.
Edited by johnjkedel
08/01/2020 4:17 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your quick reply, johnjkedel.

Here's a couple of photos.
Let me know if you need to see any other areas of the coin.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty good pictures. If you can send the entire obverse and reverse it would help us give you our opinions on grade or any problems. Yes it is the S-243.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the full obverse and reverse. I looked up some photos of the S-243 variety and realized that I never noticed the doubled S in STATES. These coins come from a really fascinating era of minting technology!

I figured that my coin was in Fine condition, but I certainly welcome expert opinions.

Thanks for all your help.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I does have some significant verdigris issue. Even removing it would probably still leave pits. I'm sure someone else more qualified will chime in to comment on the ED.
Here is an interesting site to do some basic research on large cent varieties. It has most of them in this persons collection :

http://www.largecents.net/collectio...toindex.html
Learn More...
United States
88777 Posts
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the heads-up on the verdigris problem, johnjkedel. I didn't realize it WAS a problem.

There seems to be a lot of information on the topic in this forum, so I'm going through that now.

If anyone else has experience dealing with verdigris, I'm all ears.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16779 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Describing varieties is often done by mentioning a feature or features the allows you to rapidly reduce the total number of varieties for a year down to a small subset to examine to find which variety you have. Foe example there are 24 varieties of 1803 cent. If I say it has a large fraction, there are only 6 varieties you need to check. If it had a large date there are only 2 varieties to check. In the case of your coin it has a feature that is unique to a single variety of the year, the stemless wreath. So if I say 1803 with a stemless wreath, I don't need to tell you that it ALSO has a small date, AND that it has a small fraction, stemless wreath is 243. If I said I had an 1803 with a corrected fraction (1/100 over 1/000) I don't need to tell you anything else, it's S-249. I don't need to mention that it is also a small date/small fraction coin.

So some terms identify a specific variety, and some just identify a group of varieties that then need further identifiers to narrow them down.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
08/03/2020 5:32 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great explanation, Conder101!
Makes perfect sense once you know the system.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 371Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05