Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Great Grandfathers Collection (Huge Silver Pile!)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,373Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  3:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been given the task of going through my late great grandfathers collection to sell. This is truly the fun part of coin collecting and having the knowledge to do so!!

I met the guy once (when I was a year old) before he passed away in the early 80s, but it is because of him that I collect coins today. I was gifted a partial set of Indian Head cents out of his "hoard" by my grandmother when I was baptized, and in my late 20s, I decided to finish it off, then do it again in higher grades and so on and so on!

He had 2 daughters and they each got half of the collection. My grandmothers sister sold her half in the 70s or 80s (she was older and likely got the better half!). We thought that we went through the whole half of my grandmothers inheritance a few years back, turns out it was only half of it.

Included in what I went though a few years back was:
1806 Draped bust half dollar
1854 O $3 Indian Princess gold
At least one coin from each denomination of gold (minus the Stella)
a complete set of Indian Head cents (which I still have)
about the same amount of silver (mostly Walking Liberty half dollars)

I posted about this here...
http://goccf.com/t/283775

So you can basically multiply what you see here by 4 to understand the size of what he collected back in the day. All of what you will see below is what was "rediscovered" this year.

Hope you enjoy!

Pics to follow soon!!

Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Starting out with some Nickels....

6 incomplete sets of Buffalo nickels (not much special about these, mostly common dates)
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the Jefferson Nicklels....

Just 4 sets here....a few good War Nickels, but nothing spectacular here either.
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On to the dimes.....pretty much all silver here (except the few after 64)

Mercury: The silver is going to start to add up here.

And the Roosevelts:

Learn More...
United States
89942 Posts
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the quarters...
Some Barbers

Some Standing Liberty - Not many here (I suspect my Grandmothers Sister ended up with a good number of these. There are a lot more that were in rolls.

And Washingtons
He did have a few key dates here (one 1932 S and two 1932 D)

Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And some Half Dollars:
Seated: Includes the key date 1873 CC (no arrows)

Barbers (nice pile not in books)

Walking liberty

Franklins

Pillar of the Community
United States
4048 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Take your time and research all. Compose a spread sheet. Have fun and look at it as a learning tool.
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is some other stuff that was not in folders:
More Walking Liberty half dollars:

Franklins:

64 Kennedys and 40% Kennedys

Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
last few pictures of coins not in albums:
Barber quarters

Standing Liberty quarters

Washington quarters

Dimes (all kinds from seated to Roosevelts)

A few Dollars

And a few commemoratives, a 20cent and some more Seated quarters

Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, I have been tasked with selling this collection. A good bit of this will be considered "junk silver" and sold at spot (or as close as I can get to it).

Questions though:
Are there premiums for common date UNC Quarters, franklins and Kennedys?
The Barbers have mostly been cleaned. Is there any premium on those? I have looked at eBay sales and determined there might be a slight premium, but I don't think I can expect much.

Thanks for looking!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50418 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Hey, show us that 1873-CC NA half, will you?
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted this one on the forum a while ago when I first saw this collection. Ive just now been able to bring them home and really go through them.

Edited by RedRaider
08/03/2020 5:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
932 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being your grandparents collection, I'd sure hang onto the collection, unless you absolutely must sell. I love loose piles of coins, that you can actually handle. If you were in Texas, I'd buy all of this from you.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Edited by thecoinguy1964
08/03/2020 6:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50418 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1873-CC NA seems like a nice G-04 specimen.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14007 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite an accumulation of 90% silver .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05