Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 Toonie On German Planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 435Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  11:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SwmpOwl011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anybody help me discern if this coin was struck on a German Planchet? I can see vertical lines in the field which is supposed to be an indication of a German planchet. What do you see?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3620 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP_Ottawa is the best person I know to give an opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17266 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the accurate weight?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8086 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no weight difference.
No one will be able to tell you based on your pics.
No TPG will attribute it.
And now that the coin has circulated it may not be evident in hand even to an expert.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
08/04/2020 09:39 am
Learn More...
Canada
9248 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  11:44 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Once circulated, it is almost impossible to tell. Even if it was mint state, it is tricky enough with the coin in hand, let alone darn near impossible with photos without proper lighting angles.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8086 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my German planchet toonie the easy way.
I bought it from SPP-Ottawa on eBay.
I trust the attribution is correct with more confidence than if I had bought a slabbed example.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Learn More...
Canada
9248 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM, I sold a very small amount of those sets earlier this year on eBay (maybe 10 sets?), hopefully most of the buyers actually studied the Canadian and German coins together, rather than cutting them apart just to "fill a hole in the collection" (which I have seen collectors do, right at my table at coin shows when I used to sell paired sets). There is no compositional difference, the difference is the pressure of the strike using preassembled un-annealed German planchets. With practice, the right lighting, and using mint state coins, differentiating those coins with confidence can be done.

95% (or more) of the MS-65 and MS-66 1996 German planchets you see in gold shield PCGS holders, were sent in by either CCF user Ty (Jaime, the twoonie man) or myself. In fact, if you have any doubts with a PCGS slabbed example, a quick check of my files and certification numbers could confirm that.

All bets are off with examples in ICCS, CCCS and NGC holders - the latter of which I have seen "German planchet" attributions on a 1996 specimen/PL strike (the PL strikes in 1996-1997 have the specimen finish)... another buyer beware example.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05