Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice About Verdigris On Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 411Next Topic  

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  8:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently got some great help on this forum with identifying the variety of an 1803 large cent. (Photos below). I was also advised that my coin had a verdigris issue. I collect mostly silver coins and really haven't run into this problem before.

I've searched coin community posts and found a lot of helpful information, although the most recent post on this subject was 4 years old. To this point, I have not attempted to remove the verdigris, but I did use the neutralizing procedure I found here:

http://goccf.com/t/77892

The coin is now in a small plastic box with a desiccant packet.

Is it worth going any further with this coin if I want to sell it? What effect does the green stuff have on the coin's value? I read that a member here known as BadThad made a product called Verdi-Care that would remove verdigris safely, but haven't found it anywhere.

Thanks for any advice.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3471 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bottle of Coin Care available for around 6 bucks , read the instructions carefully .
Brooklyn Coin Gallery sells it .
It will look somewhat better, but some of it is not coming off! It is into the metal.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35525 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know "anywhere" you can still buy VerdiCare. If you plan on selling it leave it as is and let the buyer decide if they want to clean it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2289 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a nice coin, but it will be much more desirable and easier to sell if you neutralize the verdigris and remove some of that superficial stuff on the obverse. However, I wouldn't use anything but VerdiCare, and I don't know where you'll be able to find any.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50453 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, I agree.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19580 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Try a little Acetone. Nothing to loose.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3471 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone on here even used or tried Coin Care ?
The results are fairly good , even compared to old Blue Ribbon
Which of course is not available anymore .
Everyone seems hung on Verdi Care ,and it is no longer by the looks
Of it !
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everybody for their input.

I have neutralized the verdigris; soaked in distilled water & sodium bicarb for an hour, rinsed in distilled water, soaked in pure acetone for 5 mins., and dried.

Aside from treating it with the illusive Verdi-Care, the only other thing I'd be comfortable with is submitting it to NGC for conservation, but that's $25 for membership, $25 for conservation, and $22 for grading.

If I try to sell it to a dealer, do I have an ethical responsibility to point out the verdigris or should he/she be expected to notice it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't go the conservation route. Add $10 handling and $22 shipping , in it over $100.

A dealer should be able to pick that up no problem, if they don't, that's on them, IMO. But up to you if you want to point it out.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 411Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05