Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 D Wheat Penny Shaken Die Error?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 773Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Superporkchop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have some extra time to go thru my error collection and found this.
Im not new to error coins been collecting for 10 years or so.
This one has me stumped. As there is a 1957 d penny DDO is this a mint mistake or a mint error?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50407 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your question is unclear. Fewer pics, please, but much sharper, shown right-side up. Be specific about what you see.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3724 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what a shaken die error is, but I think the OP is showing lots of doubling (tripling, etc) of the legends.
I am also seeing off center, and weak details despite what appears to be very little wear and some luster.

So I think the implicit question is "what happened during the striking of this coin/?"

I think I will learn a lot by watching the responses
Edited by tdziemia
08/05/2020 7:30 pm
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Superporkchop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry didnt ask what the question is.
What happened to this coin when it was struck?
It looks like waves as if the die got jammed up and rattled in the dies?
If that's possible?
Fyi the download on the pics. Had to change it to 300kb and rotate to get the details.
Thanks you and glad to be here.

I also have 6 more errors that are not in books or online.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16107 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid dipped coin. PMD.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Superporkchop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its possible but unlikely. Acid removed metal . It doesn't creating the die to repeated multiple times. Look at the wheat leaves. They move up and over the rim.
Still weights 3 grams and it is the correct size.
Its been in a box for 8 years so it would have
Corroded like your cables on battery. It still has some ms finnish also.
Thank you for feedback
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Coinfrog, next time way fewer photos, please, and they need to have the correct orientation so we can see them without cranking our necks, and please, much sharper images.

I'm interested to see what coop has to say about this coin.
meanwhile,
to the CCF! Glad to have you aboard!

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35486 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Going with the look of it and the weight I think heat damage, PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the images but there is some damage to the top of TRUST, probably from a coin wrapping machine. It looks like the tops of the letters were scraped off.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20757 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Acid removed metal . It doesn't creating the die to repeated multiple times.

Acid can make a coin look exactly like this. Sounds like you think this coin was struck multiple times, I can assure you it is not. Even DDOs are not struck multiple times.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Superporkchop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.error-ref.com/acid-shrunk-coins/

This doesn't match the reference as a acid dipped coin.
More like this one. I do have a quarter like this but its stuck only once.

http://www.error-ref.com/stutterstrike-a/

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Superporkchop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies for the photos. I will get better ones next time.

Thank you all for your help!
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about the acid diagnosis. Error-Ref.com lists the criteria for diagnosing acid exposure as:

The diagnostics of an acid damaged coin include:

1. A diameter smaller than normal.

2. Perfect centering of the design.

3. Uniformly mushy design on both faces.

4. Thin or absent design rim.

5. Lack of metal flow in design elements bordering the coin's edge.

The surface may or may not show an unusual texture.

Agree that there is PMD to the obverse from WE through TRUST.

The photos are just not clear enough, especially of the reverse, to reach any conclusions. I would really like to see better photos of EPU and the area around ONE CENT.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Superporkchop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok ill get some better ones later.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Superporkchop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well just got a email from John Wexler!
He wants me to send in the coin for a closer look.
Nice!
Thanks John!!

I will let you know what his findings are.

Later tonight I will post another weird error or PMD?
I give you a clue Indian head on center-off struck mint decommission damaged?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 773Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05