Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1794 Flowing Hair Dollar - Real Or Fake?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 806Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  7:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fruitofmycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I need help determining if this is a fake coin.

Thank you,

FOMC

Pillar of the Community
United States
4189 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake to me, the surfaces look extremely porous
Pillar of the Community
United States
2289 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, fake for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50475 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrible fake.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3475 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beijing Beauty!
A travesty !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3053 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
where are you getting your coins from, and how much are you paying for them,.., it goes a long way with us telling you what you have..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50475 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell us, are you doing any research at all on the appearance of genuine coins before you ask these questions? Because it doesn't seem like it.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fruitofmycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog I come here for help from "experts". Not for snarky attitude. Which seems to be a common thread amongst some of you who respond to posts. To answer your question. Of course! I look on Heritage Auctions and at pictures of authentic coins. I even look up videos on how to tell if a coin is counterfeit. Which, for your information, don't cover every aspect of the coin in question. These coins passed the ring test and weighed the proper weight. There is a huge difference between looking at a picture of a coin and looking at one in real life. The latter of which I don't have a lot of experience in with these antique coins. If you have to question people on whether or not they are doing any research, then I have a question for you. Why are you here answering posts for people who have questions and are trying to learn? I will gladly take my questions somewhere else if it's too much for you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3475 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FOMC , The adventure into really expensive numismatic coins , such as a
1794 First issue classic and truly scarce coin in any condition , should start
with visits to auction sites , coin shops , Coin shows , and a book or two
on the series you are considering . I know it is a little tough right now
With little open , due to the pandemic .
You should question when you are buying a rarity for a few bucks , you will
100 per cent end up with a fake . No Santa's in Numismatics!
A Genuine 1794 Dollar in the grade pictured is assuredly a 200 K plus coin.
Your pictured coin is available from China for 10 dollars or less .
Edited by Pacificoin
08/06/2020 11:59 pm
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fruitofmycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Pacificcoin Thank you for actually being helpful. The whole reason I didn't commit to buying is because I KNOW I don't know enough about these coins to make an informed decision. Also, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tell us, are you doing any research at all on the appearance of genuine coins before you ask these questions?
This is an education site. People come here to learn. You can either help, or stay out of the way of those who do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1608 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Coinfrog's response is a legitimate question, probably phrased in a way that expresses frustration with all the counterfeits appearing in posts everywhere. Any time I see 1794 or 1795 in a thread title, I don't even have to look at it - I know it's fake. In the years I've followed forums, I don't think I've ever seen a single real one with these dates. The OP says it passed the ring test and the weight test, but did it pass the smell test? Is the seller asking $100k or more? People want to be helpful, but at a certain point, incredulity colors the response.

That said, "I need help determining if this is a fake coin" - Look at the pebbled surface versus a real one. Look at the date. The denticles, the stars, the letters. Look at the hair and the ear. Literally everything on this coin is wrong. It takes time, but people need to learn to compare images in this hobby. You don't need to look at this one in real life.

United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fruitofmycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kbbpll Seems like you and Coinfrog are jaded. You said yourself you've done this for years. I don't believe that you knew everything there was to know about this hobby the day you started.

As long as coin collecting is around there will always be people that are new to the hobby. As you were at one point. And guess what, you will continue to see these posts as long as you frequent these forums. I haven't been doing this long, but I have already seen how wear and tear can alter the appearance of a coin and authentic coins with pitted surfaces due to some type of PMD. So yeah, there was some small part of me that had hope. Not much, but a little. I have never seen one of these coins in real life, real or fake. I know that might not be good enough for you but I'll stick to that.

I now know that the real coins should have a smooth surface only because somebody, in this thread, pointed it out. The fact that I asked for help determining if this coin is real or fake, I felt, should've implied that I am ignorant, not unwilling to believe that it's a fake. Thanks for putting the pictures side by side. I'm not going to feel like an idiot because I know I have a lot to learn.

So you don't see how a response like Coinfrog's could deter somebody from asking questions or even continuing with the hobby? It's extremely frustrating being new to something and asking a question in a place specifically intended for questions about the subject and getting questioned on whether or not you are doing research. Wouldn't asking an expert be considered part of the research? A question like Coinfrog's is based on an assumption and offers no real help whatsoever in place that is intended to.

So if you and Coinfrog are tired of seeing these coins posted in these forums I would suggest not responding because they are not going to stop and neither am I. And people will have questions about their authenticity for years to come.

P.S. There's a smell test? I had no idea. Thanks for the info.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fruitofmycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[Any time I see 1794 or 1795 in a thread title, I don't even have to look at it]

You looked at this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2289 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to stray too far off topic, but the comparison of the genuine and fake coins above reminds me of that botched restoration of the Salvator Mundi painting a few years ago.

@fomc, I think you asked a legitimate question. Since many coins are bought and sold online via photos these days, it really pays to spend time directly comparing photos of genuine coins (perhaps from PCGS, NGC, or Heritage) with photos of the coins in question, paying attention to every little detail. It will take some time, but you'll eventually see the differences. Pay particular attention to the appearance of numbers and letter.
Edited by Zurie
08/09/2020 11:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7289 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 806Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05