Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Fake GB 1658 Cromwell Portrait Shilling?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 358Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
458 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  12:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin is being offered at auction with a high starting bid.

In the description it states "Beautiful Example of a Classic Coin" but no mention of silver

I've asked for the weight - interested to see if that is correct

Looks too good to be the real McCoy.

Comments appreciated

Valued Member
United Kingdom
455 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  03:43 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see anything obviously wrong with it apart from the "too good to be true" concern. Unfortunately the ungodly are able to produce extremely convincing copies of all coins these days, and when the potential reward is very high (as here) they pull out all the stops.
As well as the info you have requested, I would examine the auction/seller info as much as possible. If it is an auction house, their reputation, particularly when dealing with coins. Do they routinely have high value coins and collections through their hands? Do they have numismatically qualified experts on their team?
If a private seller online - check not just his feedback, but what he has sold in the past and what people have said about any high value items. What else does he have for sale? If a lot of other one-off high rarity coins, where has he got them from?
Another thought is to have a look at the source for many of the fakes - online websites such as *Site prevents me from saying which one!* - to see if they have similar items for sale at the moment and how they compare.
I am probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but that is what I would do before risking a large sum on such a thing!
Valued Member
New Zealand
458 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paddy. The seller is a coin dealer and has 100% feedback, so that all sounds positive.

Response to my question
The coin weight is about right - 5.9 grams which seems correct for a Commonwealth shilling with a little use. (I don't have scales with 2 decimal points so it may be slightly more).
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1330 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dots on the scarve and the crosses in the shield look wrong, there appears to exactly even strike and almost no wear, yet its dull as dishwater.

Beware, I would not buy it without a certificate.

Despite it being kosher looking, my gut tells me this is a fake, a good one - but a modern fake that is likely Chinese!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
New Zealand
458 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The dots on the scarve and the crosses in the shield look wrong, there appears to exactly even strike and almost no wear, yet its dull as dishwater.

Beware, I would not buy it without a certificate.

Despite it being kosher looking, my gut tells me this is a fake, a good one - but a modern fake that is likely Chinese!

@Princetane
Yes I agree with you - on close comparison with other coins its looking like a fake, and I'm not taking a risk at that value. No certificate mentioned.

Valued Member
New Zealand
458 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Item was not sold, and has not made a re-appearance.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05