Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 Maryland Error - Missing Clad

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 714Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jjcain580 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was working as a bank teller when the State Quarters started coming out. We had to roll our own coin, so would get large bags of coins from the Federal Reserve when we did currency orders, would open them op, throw 'em in a hopper and roll $10 rolls of quarters. One day, we open a bag or Maryland quarters, dump em out, and sitting right on top is this little beauty.

The coin appears to be missing the clad on the state side. On the front, it appears to be mis-struck as basically all of "United" is flat and not raised, along with the "Li" In Liberty and the "Qu" in quarter. The words that ARE on the front are very flat.

The coin does not sound like a regular quarter and seems to weigh about a gram or so less than a regular quarter.

Thoughts? Any help is appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4237 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks good so far. Can you weigh it? Weight will be a determining factor in its authenticity. It will be a quite a neat find if it is correct.

-CH27
Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds.

Edited by CoinHunter27
08/09/2020 12:07 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jjcain580 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best scale I have only does full gram weights. This came in around 5 grams, while a 2008 State Quarter I had comes in around 6 grams.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like what I see...luster is key..does it cartwheel?

to CCF...hope you pulled more neat stuff out of your teller drawer.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
3546 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
667 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely going to need weight on this one to confirm but it looks good from here so far!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jjcain580 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@greasy fingers - I don't think I've got the eye to determine if it cartwheels or not - never actually done it before.

I'll see if I can get a more accurate weight than 5 grams.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jjcain580 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And thanks all for the welcome!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice error coin! It has all the signs of being a Bonding Error also known as a Missing Clad Layer before the strike. I always liked this error!
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2346 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I saw this post, I was sure it would be environmentally damaged. But it is actually missing the clad layer! Nice find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We usually get a lot of these, but most turn out to be just Environmental Damage
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jjcain580 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to hear all this. Shortly after I got the coin I took it to a shop here near Denver and he tried telling me it had been circulated (though came directly from the Federal Reserve in a brand new bag of quarters) - I knew it hadn't. That was before a lot of internet capabilities to research and compare and was early on in the State Quarter process. Right after I got it in 2000 I put it in a coin case then in a safe and it's sat there for 20 years.

Seems like grading is probably the next step.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46184 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is had been put in a 2X2 on the first day you spotted it, it would probably have been at least twice as much as it is now for value. the finger prints lower the value for it. But it is a missing clad.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jjcain580 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Curious your thoughts on potential value, knowing the variables/assuming all checks out.

I've got a shop up the street I'm planning on going to this week, as well. Curiosity finally got the better of me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3546 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with coop; if it had been protected out of the bag, it would be much more valuable than it's current state. The marks and fingerprints will really cut into it's value. You might want to check eBay's sold listings for possible value both graded and ungraded. Good luck
ša va bien aller
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 714Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05