Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1798 Draped Bust Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 450Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  7:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am considering buying this 1798 cent for a type collection--PCGS has straight graded it as EF(40)--the pictures are not of great quality--what do you guys think? Does this look like a nice problem free coin to represent the Draped Bust type to you guys? The surface looks kind of splotchy, and less smooth, than the surface of the few other old copper coins I have, but I like the amount of details I see compared to other EF(40) Draped Bust cents.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1771 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically speaking I would agree with the grade in this one. Wouldn't be my first choice for eye appeal, but that's preferential to a degree. The small Green spot on the top of the head is my only concern besides eye appeal.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53704 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with EF-40, but price aside, I find the obverse below-average in eye appeal.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanjs, Ty2020b and Coinfrog!

What specifically detracts from the appeal to you?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53704 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pitting and/or discolored spots in the lower right obverse quadrant are too distracting for me, though natural in appearance.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/10/2020 10:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1771 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same as CF. There's a few on the reverse as well, but I don't mind them, reverse is more uniform in color.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's definitely a straight grade, but does have some verdigris. Also would personally want an EF-40 to have a bit more detail in the hair, but that's just my preference
Pillar of the Community
United States
9661 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
18th century copper without planchet defects is a bonus. they all age differently. this is a nice example and in my book is XF40 also. I dont mind the surfaces one bit
Pillar of the Community
United States
1698 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think she looks wonderful for 222! As long as the verdigris doesn't progress you will have a nice example for your type set.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is already in a PCGS slab--will this stop the verdigris from progressing into "details" level damage?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1698 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know for sure how copper coins handle slabbing. My guess is that the slab will provide little protection above nominal storage options. In fact, in a humid environment they may be less protective. I hope more knowledgeable members can give you more definitive info.

I think if you kept this slab in a well-controlled environment, the coin should remain fairly static for a long time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 450Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05